Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Harvest Moon Daybook


Outside my window...the early morning is still washed with moonlight from the harvest moon. We've enjoyed our evenings outdoors. This place is very different place under a full moon, adding light in a magical way.


"Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices."
Saint Teresa of Avila

I am thinking...how hard a balance it is to defend Christ and Christian teachings and maintain relationships who are against Christ's teaching. Especially when one doesn't see that they are in opposition. Logic seems to no longer be useful. Prayer and humility seem to be the only resource. The Faithful are under attack from every direction, including within.

I am not Chicken Little, I am usually the forever optimist, but I'm weary and worried. I hate to see people I love and respect go down a path of self destruction, hopelessness and isolation.

Perfect timing for me, the kids are reading about Saint Teresa of Avila. I enjoy learning of her together. I needed this:

"May today there be peace within.

May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.

May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.

May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.

May you be content knowing you are a child of God.

Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.

It is there for each and every one of us."

I am praying for...all priests and religious, the end to abortion, my college student and for her to survive the unnatural cyclical stress college puts upon students. For everything to come into place for our church dedication. For our country and leaders, and for this election. For Max to return from offshore safely.

I am thankful...for my husband's job. I watched The Big Short on Netflix. It's about the mortgage crisis and collapse in our country, a very few saw it coming (well, Rush did). The corruption and manipulation and the ending bailout abusing the American people...so hard to digest. I had to watch the movie over a few sittings, much to learn. But it was a little more entertaining than a documentary.
We had a tough time during those years. My husband's company shut down his division just after moving us back to Texas. He was out of work for nine months. We started a business the month that very bad economy started to fail, it folded in under four years.I was the accountant and watched the stifling economy choke and shut down all related business from the beginning of our dream.
He took a job based out of Vegas while we stayed in Texas. We were thankful for the job. Looking back on that time, it is amazing we didn't loose everything along with so many other Americans. I am thankful we resisted the transfer. When I saw the demise of our business eminent, I started praying the 54 day novena for relief. He had a job offer on the 54th day for the company he is now employed! Deo gratias!

In the kitchen...surviving. Nothing exciting. I need a reset plan with meal planning. We made meat pies with croissant rolls. I've been using the peppers out of the garden and happened on an extra spicy batch tonight for our chicken and rice.

We are creating...Nick created a mum for his date for the local homeschool homecoming. We had a started mum and he added all the fun extras. Mums have changed over the years! We were surprised the guys are given one now. The sizes are ridiculous. Maybe we are taking the everything is bigger in Texas thing a bit far on this one. 
I walked down the hall and saw Euly helping Nick with the collar of his suit and it struck me how grown up these middles are.


 I told him to send me photos...




The girls and I stopped by Hobby Lobby and took on some projects for the upcoming seasons.


I am going ... to surprise Molly and take her out to dinner this week. Its been a while since we visited and I want to make sure she is eating well.


I am watching...and catching up on English movies while Craig is traveling (not his favorites). I watched the third episode of Poldark, the four part Emma on Amazon and Endeavor murder mysteries on Amazon (yes, English as well). 
Your suggestions are always welcome.

I am listening to...our rickety, off balance fan in the otherwise silence of the early morning. Occasionally I'll hear the cry of our lone rooster. We had to ...um...remove five roosters from the flock. Too many roosters are hard on the hens.

Around the house...we celebrated Euly's birthday with a sleepover with friends and sisters. And cheesecake.
 

Around the farm...our grain fed captive sheep made a grand escape. A couple of ewes look pregnant. We have a Barred Rock hen sitting on eggs, and by our calculation, chicks could hatch this weekend.


Around the schoolroom...we are plugging along. Euly helps to keep everyone motivated by her own enthusiasm for school and co-op. What a difference kids are from each other. Co-op is going well. We are learning the nuances of pleasing different teachers. I'm wishing our days were our own, but I know the benefit of being around good friends. Their writing skills are already improving.
And we have the prettiest church to attend Mass:


A favorite quote for today... more from Saint Teresa:

“Christ has no body now on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours,
Yours are the eyes through which to look out
Christ's compassion to the world
Yours are the feet with which he is to go about
doing good;
Yours are the hands with which he is to bless men now.”


One of my favorite things...girl talk.
With four daughters, there is plenty to go around. My heart breaks as they grow up and encounter what comes with growing up. But my heart also grows with enthusiasm as their years ahead. A proud, kind of happy, heart break. Maybe there just aren't words for this!

The kids had a good time volunteering for One Day 4-H.  They stocked food at the pantry, did chores around the outside and inside of the building, prepared bags of food to give out and sorted school supplies for Louisiana.







A few plans for the rest of the week...the girls are selling discount passes for restaurants for their basketball teach fund raiser. We are at a disadvantage since the passes are for the town the team is based, not where we live. We are not salesmen by nature, so its taking a little longer than it might others. They are learning. 

We also have co-op, basketball practices, 4-H meeting and hoping for that visit with Molly. And other preparation for the church dedication next weekend!!

Something that made me laugh...how entertaining walks can be with my kids. Craig used Lilly's new found stick walking pole to push something away on the creek passing, and it broke. She mourned the loss of that walking stick more than it could have ever deserved.





A peek into my day...evening chores.








October is more than half done...and its already Wednesday this week. Have a good one!


3 comments:

  1. Nick looked SO handsome! Loved the "pics" he sent you :) I hope he had a good time. Molly, I'm sure, will enjoy your company and the dinner tremendously. And the poor hens! LOL I always enjoy looking at your pictures. They are full of life! And yes! you do have such a pretty church!! Hoping the rest of your week goes by smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patty! Nick had a good time. He and friends had a group growing together which helped the evening go smoothly. He loves to have opportunities to dance.

    I enjoy your visits here and appreciate your positive encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Nick's pictures too! And a young man with real dance skills (the couple kind) is sure to be much sought after. At least they were in my long gone college days. ;)

    ReplyDelete