Monday, June 20, 2016

Spring to Summer Daybook

Outside my window...The rooster is crowing early this morning. It's 5:30 and I've been up with insomnia. It's humid and I know every Texan/southerner will agree once the rains finished, our temperature jumped up faster and higher than we could adjust.
Just outside my bedroom window:


I am thinking...about going through the cost and effort of renewing my CPA license. I retired my Texas license back when I had my fourth child, moving around the country, leaving clients behind and I thought, that's it, that chapter is permanently over.
But I had a seed planted recently and thought, why not see if it is even possible or affordable. I'm not planning on going away to work. I love being with my kids and homeschooling and they need me. But I have worked part time at home before and balanced it for about four year period with a baby in arms. Lilly is now 6, so I might be able to work in a few jobs. But being inactive so long, prioritizing homeschooling and being new to an area aren't really client builders, so it may be a waste of time. 
It's still a pull to my imagination. But then, this:

I am praying for..my kids and their future spouses. Our country. Hearts and souls to be converted.

I am thankful...for Euly who will hop out of bed at 6 to go for a walk with me, even when it has detours, thanks to the peacocks. I'm trying to get health kick going and to stick to it. I had been sick for a long while and lost a lot of previous progress. I have my goals outlined, just need to keep going.

In the kitchen...cooking and baking up a variety of goodies for Father's Day, including Italian cream cake for my sweetie and chocolate sheet cake for the party. 

I am creating...school plans for the next school year. I have a lot to do, and need to get going! I'm teaching a beginning grammar and writing at a Catholic coop and then filling in holes for my kids. I need to get our Ccd schedule planned.

I am reading...Father Brown reader with Cecilia. I'm thinking of using it for our class.

I am watching...I have been binging on English Movies:

One Day on Netflix with Anne Hathoway. I  cried, so I'd recommend it if you need a good cry! It has racier scenes than others below. Needless to say, I didn't watch with kids. :0

Love and Friendship at the theater with Molly. We laughed. It's quirky and not for everyone's humor, but if you love Jane Austen, you'll love it. I'd see it again.

Julian Fellowes Presents Doctor Thorpe on Amazon 
Makes me want to read Trollope. 
I enjoyed the series, the characters were great. Some predictable moments but overall very good. I hope Fellowes does more of this!!

I'm also part way into Bleak House (again) and North and South (the Engkish version).

I am listening to...Ceci has been working on some traditional Catholic hymns on the piano. Right now she's working on Sing of Mary. We all hum the tune all day. Which is a good thing. 

I am hoping...Nick's truck starting troubles are no big deal. Recurring issues are frustrating especially when they happen just past warranty period of last repair. With three old vehicles, one is bound to be complaining about something. The truck usually doesn't complain, so hopefully will be a quick fix.

I am looking forward to...going to Uvalde with Euly for state WHEP 4hcompetition. Wildlife Habitat Enviornment Program. It's a team event, and I'm thinking of riding with my sister, nephew and our coach. It's about a 4 hour drive. I haven't been to Uvalde, I'm looking forward to the change of scenery and,hoping the kids win state, so we can check out West Firginia for nationals in July. I'm leaving my littles at home who have made plans with Molly for a fun girls weekend.

Around the house...just cleaning for a Father's Day party which is also our priest's 20th anniversary. We will celebrate here. We have about 50 coming. 

Around the farm...the two babies are growing. The male is definitely stronger and larger, the female has plenty of spark. I think they will both thrive. What a difference when the mom raises them! 
We still have Hope. Most lambs seem to be getting over the limping illness. Doug. Still has  wounds, even though he's been separated from the males. Not sure if it a skin disease or battle scars. We would like to start selection to reduce the male population and fatten them up for processing. We have a few people interested in buying the meat, so it helps to push us along that direction. There is still at least one pregnant ewe, once she's delivered and her babes are big enough to leave the nursery, we will turn the pen into a fattening pen. 

I saw this on Facebook. My neighbor said he saw our guineas eating a copperhead. We are down half our original guinea population. Maybe I should order more. 

Around our school...we continue various activities through the summer. We finished our last science day of the year and probably done for a while. The girls finished a three year cycle, (except Lilly). We are starting a coop in the fall and 4 h will continue to take up time. Nick starts a computer programming class next Wednesday. I'm excited for him and hope it is challenging and what he is looking for. I started a little Spanish class for Ceci and Lilly and the grammar is blocking Ceci. So we will go back to sing songs while I repeat verb tenses and person until she is comfortable. 

A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...

One of my favorite things...enjoying simple life with the girls. Reading is my favorite activity, but also playing games, which lately have been card games (math), Apples to apples (vocabulary), people puzzles (hand/eye, thinking skills). I'd like to learn more board games. Lilly and Ceci love to play pretend with calico critters, I've never been good about the pretend conversations. I'm good at building and decorating and dressing the dolls, not having them come to life. We've also had some food presentation competitions with play dough. #summerlife

A few plans for the rest of the week...this week is all about getting ready for Father's Day. We are having Bbq and hopefully just enough mix of parents and kids that the kids don't mind eating outside. Next week we go to Uvalde for Euly's wildlife team to compete in a state competition. A agriculture science camp she was looking forward to attending was cancelled. We need to add a few fun activities this summer, I'm thinking water related. 

Something that made me laugh, chuckle... My baby lost her first tooth today. Nick helped pull it out after it was already flipping around. The next one is loose too. Oh, growing pangs (for me). 

One of our visitors Sunday is a dental hygen
ist and talk to Lilly about teeth, decorated a cup for her tooth and gave her money. I think she heard our tooth fairy can be slow.

A peek into my day... outside looking in.





Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. No fooling on the oppressive heat!! We probably won't see rain again until fall. Feast or famine, right?

    I hope your Father's Day went well. It sounded like it was going to be a fun gathering. Which gets me thinking, I need to take a trip down to visit Carol and meet you!!

    I think the CPA idea is wonderful. Truly. I have my old teaching degree, but I really wouldn't want to go into teaching again. It's so awful out there. My sister is a CPA.

    I have the school year mapped out. Except for science for Mabel's 8th grade. We keep teetering on Physical Science (Apologia) or trying Seton's new Life Science. Otherwise, we are a-go. I'll order books the beginning of July.

    Wishing you a good rest of your week. I can't believe the third week of June is almost gone!!

    ReplyDelete