Monday, April 25, 2016

Animals, Nature and Illusions Daybook

Outside my window...sunny, breezy, nice. The ground is still saturated.

I am praying for..families dealing with flood clean up, people in search of employment, health of loved ones, and intentions for future events. 
I'm praying for people who suffer from personality disorders, especially to find balance and peace. 

Prayer to St. Dymphna
Lord, our God, you graciously chose St. Dymphna as patroness of those afflicted with mental and nervous disorders and Spiritual afflictions. She is thus an inspiration and a symbol of charity to the thousands who ask her intercession.
Please grant, Lord, through the prayers of this pure youthful martyr, relief and consolation to all suffering such trials, and especially those for whom we pray. (Here mention those for whom you wish to pray).
We beg you, Lord, to hear the prayers of St. Dymphna on our behalf. Grant all those for whom we pray patience in their sufferings and resignation to your divine will. Please fill them with hope, and grant them the relief and cure they so much desire.
We ask this through Christ our Lord who suffered agony in the garden. Amen

I am thankful...our little plot of land to cultivate and enjoy.

In the kitchen...Ceci made 48 cupcakes for our 4h fundraiser. We bought brisket at the bbq and had to freeze wrap lots of what we don't plan on eating soon, my fridge is full of yummy Bbq for the moment.

In world of 4h...we had our BBQ fundraiser which included a live auction. What a blast. Our autioneer was so fun to watch and listen and made me nervous when I was bidding on things I wanted. It went fast. He would encourage us to keep bidding, getting very animated! Many things I wanted went over my budget quickly, but it was fun to be in on the action as long as we could. We did "win" a few items, the kids had gambling fever for the bidding process on the silent auction items. All in all for a good cause.

Saturday the kids participated in the district meats judging competition and all three of my kids and my nephew all did great! Ceci, Euly, John Philip won their age divisions, Nick came in second, and first on the senior team, which qualifies them for state competition in June. 

This coming up weekend Ceci and Euly have a few more competitions. 

I am going...on a trip with my oldest daughter next month. I need to start planning details. It will be the first time to leave my littles without my husband. He stays in charge at home to let me have this special time with Molly,... surreal.

I am reading... When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr
And 
Millet Tilled The Soil by Sybil Deucher and Opal Wheeler

We finished A Long Way From Welcome by Echo Lewis, a Bethlehem Book. Overall I guess I liked it ...BUT!! ...Why do Catholic authors include kids sneaking out as part of a heroic act? Looking at you too, Regina Doman. Is that really a thing out here in Catholic worlds? Not here in the country, I can tell ya. It annoys me and sets a bad example. There is no justification to the lies behind sneaking out, oh,  but the heroine helped in a way she couldn't have had she not snuck out. Not ok with me. Another annoyance with the book, sometimes I see in newer Catholic books, the author feels the annoying need to mention other books or movies just in case the readers live in a illiterate hole in the ground and never heard of Gone with the Wind or Jane Austen, distracting, unnecessary. Stop it. It doesn't flow with the story, it feels lectured to and is a distraction. 

I am watching...Belle on Amazon.
I really liked it.

I am listening to...Sonos songs the kids have playing their favorites. Lilly is motivated to write her own songs. She sings them and I have to write them down as she sings, cute!

I am looking forward to...seeing Max again after his many days off shore.

I am learning...everything I can about these gals.
And about snakes around here than may be poisonous.
From our walking path:

Around the house...I started painting my bedroom. I have insisted it's a project I want to do alone ( sans children). Lots of window, lots of cutting in. Lots of dedicated alone time, although the girls take turns keeping me company and chatting away while I work. Painting is satisfying work with instant gratification. 
The room is huge and will take a while. I was planning a reddish glaze, but Craig says he likes it as it is. We'll see how I feel when it's all done. Hopefully next update I'll have a wall completed.

We have so much to do in the bedroom that it is our 2016 project. Craig will have tub repaired and finally working for the first time in the house' life. Original tags still on the tub. Looking at a tankless water heater.  The sauna in the shower needs to be hooked up and a glass panel replaced. Lots of fun cosmetic work too. He's looking to adding tin panels on the bath ceiling and hanging our new doors to add privacy to bath area. New windows, doors and flooring are not on the plans this year. Of all the house renovation,our bedroom was most neglected over the years, it's largest space and most need of attention. The foundation problems in the bedroom hit the hardest. It's so nice not to be in a hurry, letting the repairs evolve and happen when we feel like investing in it. 

A few plans for the rest of the week... 4h, 4h, 4h stuff.. And school, Two May Crowning events and a little more 4h.

In the chicken yard...I take too many photos of our silly fowl. We all love to watch their antics.


First round of babies to join the adult chickens.




And the ducks...
We let them out with caution. They aren't smart, follow each other blindly, eat wood shavings, but somehow have survived their first few days in the big world.


Lilly tried to show them the pond, but they wanted nothing of it! 



What's up with Hope...
She still thinks she is queen of the front porch. 
Now that we have cows...Our friend at church anxiously wants Hope to join her at the church property. Kids are around all the time to pet and enjoy her. I'm not quite ready to let her go.
I'm not sure how she feels about it.


Houston's 500 Year Flood...
Dumped so much water, it's unimaginable. We are on high ground. Our road was washed out, but that has happened since before we bought this place. We had made great progress on the road, but now, huge set backs. 
Honestly I am not complaining. When you have a road over a creek, wash out is expected in a flood.
So many people we know are dealing with major flood damage.

There is a Go Fund Me set up for our friends, a sweet Catholic homeschooling family of 12! hit hard by the flood. Water destroyed so much of the home and belongings as well as totaled three cars.
If you want to help them, they humbly appreciate donations.

In the garden...with the rain, everything. Is growing, weeds faster than I can rid them.
Carrots

Beets

Blackberries




Sunflowers
With quinoa and lettuce below.

Peppers and herbs

Limes

Peas

Spaghetti squash

Footprints in the garden...optical illusion when turned upside down.


2 comments:

  1. You are so busy with 4H, but I'm glad that the kids enjoy it so much and are excelling in their interests! That's fabulous. Excited to see your updated post on your bedroom. You know, I just hung curtains in our master bedroom. For the first time in almost 9 years, our bedroom is completed! LOL I just waited and waited till I knew for sure what I wanted. I was extra picky perhaps because it is our sanctuary?? That's awful about the Catholic family that lost so much. Terrible!! Prayers going up for all the victims. Your farm life is growing steadily, but that Hope! She is the queen bee of all of them, isn't she! LOL The trip with your daughter sounds AMAZING! And Im glad you get to see your son again, soon. Have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow didn't realise you are suffering a 500 yr flood over there!!
    As always love all your updates. Praying you and Molly have a special mother/daughter time, what blessings :-)
    So could chat books with you all the time. Haven't read that one but Regina Doman's Midnight Dances sooo bothered me for the sneaking out, amongst other beefs I have with the book.

    ReplyDelete