Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Year Day Daybook


Outside My Window.... 
Birds are singing and it's foggy.


I Am Thinking....
Do you have any exciting way to celebrate this extra day of 2016?
I'm planning to spend some special time with each of my children to let them know how much I love them! And do some grocery shopping.

I Am Thankful....
For this day. For this life. 

  I Am Creating....
The garden, to be a safe place away from all the animals we have. 
The fencing is 6' tall, and has two inch cross sections. You'll have to fly over, I'm sure the peacocks will figure out. I'm wondering if the plastic garden owls that scare away seagulls will scare away garden fowl. All animals have checked the border.

 All fenced, now just waiting for good dirt and raised beds.
77 strawberry plants planted!
Trellises for the blackberries and raspberries.
I like Craig's design so there aren't support wires to trip anyone up. Plus we need every inch of the garden space.




The strawberries want to fruit, but for the first year we I'll clip off all blooms to help establish the root system. Hoping for great strawberries in years to come. 

Some baby asparagus- aren't they cute! 

I Am Going....
To the rodeo some day this week. 
Nick and Euly signed up to participate in the Houston Rodeo Calf Scramble.
I'm excited and nervous. I think it will be an experience to remember. I pray they will be safe. I wonder it they will catch a calf, and then wonder about the work that will follow for the next year of raising and showing a calf! 

I Am Reading....
Life of Christ. By Fulton Sheen to kids
And
What Jeses Saw From the Cross by A. G.Sertillanges


A Few Plans For This Week...
I am attending a class on Master Gardeners, hoping to learn all about fruit tree pruning and care and other ideas for gardens. I still need to plan out herbs, plant the starter plants and then maintenance begins. The kids have a meats judging competition. Euly has a last wildlife practice for the contest next week.

I Am Pondering and Praying....

"Who except God can give you peace? 
Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart?"
  — St. Gerard Majella

***

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Patroness of the United States of America, please help our country.  Help us to return to what is decent, right, and proper.  Help us to return to respect for ourselves, and others, to truth in dealing with ourselves and others; to self-control and self-discipline; and, especially, to a deep love for your Son and His teachings.  Protect us from those who would destroy us from within.  Our Lady, we place ourselves, and our country, under your mantel.  Pray for us and help us.  Amen. 
(from a prayer card)

One Of My Favorite Things...
Watching baby chicks



She's trying to come to terms with the fact five chicks are meat chicks. 
Craig said he might want to try them as layers, but I think we got them, let's go for dinner! 



And nature walks...






Happy Leap Day!

6 comments:

  1. Oh lots happening! I'm assuming it's Spring there now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin,
      Not officially spring yet, but our temps are in the high 70's and low 80's now. Probably no more cold snaps, so we are usually good to go with the garden since we will get summer earlier too.
      It's a nice change to do outside work versus house work.
      I'm loving watching your latest project!!

      Delete
  2. Your photos!!!
    They make me feel as if I'm right there with you all!
    And how great that would be...
    I would take copious notes on everything from gardening to faith.
    You are so inspiring, and I love the prayer you posted.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Have a blessed, cozy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Billie Jo! I'd love a real life visit!!

      Delete
  3. Looking at Erin's comment above, I kind of chuckled. We really never had a winter this year did we. I wouldn't mind moving further south, near you. I want an even warmer climate than what we have her in North Texas. :)

    I didn't know that about the strawberries and their root system. Before I knew her, my MIL had a strawberry garden. I heard all about it, but didn't realize that in the beginning, so much tender care was needed to supply years of harvesting. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

    Have a great week, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to learn everything we can. Many items in our garden this year are our first time to try them, so we are hoping to get it right.

      There are lots of properties for sale around us. ;)
      We don't get much of a winter, which is fine with me. Just enough cool to have a reason for an occasional fire. But I could do without our summer (glasses fogging) humidity!

      Delete