Saturday, September 19, 2015

Kleb Hummingbird Festival

We were supposed to volunteer, then all our plans changed. Euly went out of town, Nick had to work, we had three more kids to join us. In the end Ceci enlisted Maggie to help volunteer with volunteer lunches once we found Ms. Linda.

The rest of us were participants at the Annual Kleb Woods Hummingbird festival in Tomball, Texas.
The nature photographers were out in force to see the hummingbird migration and since it was my extra kids' first visit, we decided to branch out and see all we could of this old farm converted to forest nature preserve.



Rescued owl (hit by car)

My nephew manned the Can You Run as Fast As a Hummingbird Can Fly? booth. And no, we couldn't. But they tried.

On your mark, ...

Go!

The kids loved seeing inside the hundred year old farm house. So cool to see how Elmer Kleb actually lived, with his actual stuff on his actual land.


Craig wants one of these stoves for our bedroom. Pretty cute and has a purpose.



Horse apples.


Barbed wire through the trees- sign that there were fields here once upon a time.
We like to check on Max's Eagle project boardwalk:
Resurrection Fern

Climbing the best climbing tree around.

Once when this woodland was a field, the farmer let this tree branch out and grow. We are so thankful he did.
Trees 
by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see 
 A poem lovely as a tree. 

 A tree whose hungry mouth is prest 
 Against the sweet earth’s flowing breast; 

 A tree that looks at God all day, 
And lifts her leafy arms to pray; 

 A tree that may in summer wear 
 A nest of robins in her hair; 

 Upon whose bosom snow has lain; 
 Who intimately lives with rain. 

 Poems are made by fools like me, 
 But only God can make a tree.

Farm to forest- windmill absorbed by the trees.
The crafts are fun- the girls and their bird masks.


2 comments:

  1. I am currently living like the olden days...my dishwasher is broken..waaaaaaa! I got my fingers stuck in my grandmothers washing machine wringer...totally terrifying!

    Love your pictures. I will probably say that every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was living old days recently too with my dryer out, clothes drying everywhere. I wouldn't mind having a clothes line.
      We definitely have it easier than our grandmas! Scary about your finger. :0

      Delete