Saturday, August 29, 2015

Daybook: A Change in the Air

Outside my window...a slight detectable change in the air early in the morning. We had a cool-er breeze when working outside today. I'm hoping summer peeked.

I am thinking...About how sad this whole # lives matter things has gone crazy. RIP Officer GoForth. I don't have TV channels so I'm not sure what has gone national or not, but it's a sad and tense time in the countries around Houston right now. Another life lost and a bold move toward anarchy.
I didn't realize where the gas station was that Officer GoForth had been gun downed until I passed it on our way to mass this morning. A nice neighborhood and a part of town that is family friendly. There was a make shift memorial at the gas pumps. Returning after mass there was a large group gathered to show respects and people around to raise money for the wife and two children he left behind. Senseless violence.

I am praying for..college kids and their families that miss them. And healing for some I love dearly. And for hope and faith for those who fight older years problems. Marriages, and for finding good spouses.

I am thankful...the ones who were hit with a stomach bug are starting to feeling better.

In the kitchen...quiche today.
Some around here caught a stomach bug, so tomorrow they are ready for a good Sunday dinner: steaks, mashed potatoes, green beans cucumber and tomato green salad with chocolate sheet cake for dessert. All by request.

am creating...
The kids created a new fun Hide and Seek game played in the the woods.

I am going...to kick off our Ccd program with a teachers' meeting and call for more volunteers to help sub. Our program has grown large but our volunteer base has shrunk- for good reasons- many new babies- to only make the program grow! 

I am watching...and listening to...
the buzzing of hummingbirds fly by and battle for a spot on the feeder.

Around the house...missing Molly.
This B&W makes her dorm look bleak, but it isn't bad, especially once she and her roommate moved in. We prayed for a good roommate and they seemed to hit it off immediately! Prayer answered: from a big Catholic family too. They plan to go to mass together today. 
For a homeschooled girl this is a big deal, and a big deal for the transition for mom.
I've been through it before, and I am holding up better this time. She isn't far away, which helps. 
We had a nice day moving in, having lunch, buying  supplies.
I'm so excited for all the on campus college experiences she will have.
Now to focus on the four still at home.

 Euly rearranged their room immediately. 

Renovation projects...The foundation guy came by and found and fixed some of the problems. A beam is missing under the girls' room wall that he will come back to repair. Some pressure points failed which caused the cracks. Fortunately Craig was here to hear all the problems and solutions. 

I am reading...Little Britches:Father and I were Ranchers  by Ralph Moody as read aloud and we love it! 

A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today... From Little Britches
"A man's character is like his house. If he tears boards off his house and burns them to keep himself warm and comfortable, his house soon becomes a ruin. If he tells lies to be able to do the things he shouldn't do but wants to, his character will soon become a ruin. A man with a ruined character is a shame on the face of the earth."

"Always remember, Son, the best boss is the one who bosses the least. Whether it's cattle, or horses, or men; the least government is the best government."

"The lessons you remember longest are the ones that hurt you the most when you learn 'em."

One of my favorite things... Sounds around this place, especially evening or early morning. Train whistle from many miles off echoing through the trees. And owl calling to its mate signally morning isn't far off. Evening insects and frogs singing their songs, trying to out do each other across the echo-y pond. Barks of the dogs signally something they find important to alert me about, which something that annoyed me in the suburbs, I truly appreciate here in the woods. 
Another change from suburban me to country girl me: this scene would have me thinking oh we need to mow! Now I'm so thankful to have much green at the end of August, when usually everything is so parched by now!

In case you're wondering...Hope is still our constant companion. I'm trying to wean her from the bottle and encourage her to eat grass and forage whatever she wants, even my basil.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
School, slow schedule to build routines, look to get pianos lessons started, visit a few nursing home/assisted living homes for my mother in law for options. 

School progress...Nick is buzzing through Geometry. We are enjoying the Teaching Company courses. Nick started a high school speech class at a local coop. The girls are planning their outfits for a masquerade dance coming up.
 We are making school progress. I still have trouble balancing levels of kids. Some I have to help in waves while other times they are idle. That's my biggest challenge is getting everyone continuously productive at the same time. Big goal!

A peek into my day...Lilly has been wanting to ride her bike on the road since it's easier than on the gravel road. We met a couple of our neighbors who were out for a walk. The next evening we did our same routine and so did they. Lilly makes friends quickly and had us exchanging numbers and making plans. 
The husband got a kick out of Lilly telling him, "I would have texted you if I had your number."
Every introverted mom needs a charismatic extroverted daughter to push the envelopes to meet er'body!







Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Just love it. Beautiful. And I get the value of having the extroverted kid...for us it is Declan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can see those trainers coming off soon if she is wanting to keep up with the kart:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we need to just go for it and take them off.

      Delete
  3. So much goodness here, Mary. I felt that cooler-heat in the morning recently as well. Summer had reached its peak I believe. Looking forward to some coffee on the porch again. Oh! And the hummingbirds...don't they make the cutest sounds?

    ReplyDelete