Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Day book: Cruising through a rough patch


Outside my window...a breezy, peaceful evening with a great view of the stars. We had a pretty heavy rain today, very welcomed. 
I love the night sky in the country. Without light pollution, the vast stars of God's creation are brilliant. 

A friend at church commented to me...wow with car hassles, family health problems, house set backs, you're really going through a rough patch. 
Bullseye. 
We are not alone, not powerless, not without hope. Praying. Life moves along and the years are bound to take a toll. Trying to keep perspective as we see reminders that this earth is just a journey. It's a little out of body, Jesus take the wheel freaky kind of time. But we'll get our footing again as the days go on.

I am thinking...about care for my mother in law. She has MS and recently fell and broke her ankle in a skilled care nursing home under the watch of the most uncaring and incompetent nursing staff. I pray there aren't worse out there.  She had surgery and we moved her to a different nursing home that promises five day a week physical therapy to work toward getting her up and walking. She remains positive as she has these 46 years of battling MS against immobility. A broken bone is a huge set back to someone fighting a disease that wants all muscles to just stop moving. Thankfully, she has a very determined spirit.

I am praying for..decisions for her care. Is she better where she is, or a place closer to us or with us? She'd need nursing care here. I'm looking into all options. Opinions and experiences welcome, please! I'm praying for her improvement to regain some level of independence she craves. I don't know the answer.
Lord hear our prayer. 
Also for healing for my dad who had a woodworking accident that did a lot of damage to his right arm.
For Molly and her college experience moving into a dorm. For this semester to be great for her.
For thanksgiving for God's loving protection.

I am thankful...a weekend getaway last week to visit and plan for my MIL. My husband came out of the back and out of the way from a business trip to pick me up so we could walk/drive the journey together. It's hard. But I'm happy I can offer whatever help I can.
Also thankful Molly's arthritis treatment is working. Chiropractors have some strange techniques but she says she feels great, so I am very thankful.
Trying to count the other small gifts and signal Graces every day. 
Especially chocolate:


In the kitchen...my personal chef, Molly, is starting to pack up to move to her dorm.
I'm sad. But I've been picking up cooking more. I made several quiches with our abundance of eggs. The ladies lay such small eggs, some are getting bigger. So when a recipe calls for one large egg I substitute three little ones.
We have been sharing them since they are outpacing our diet for the time being. Good thing we love quiche, migas and fried eggs.  
For my gluten free daughters, crust less quiche works fine.


I am creating...school plans. I'm still working on a few class arrangement and need to get signed up for music lessons. I'm sad to put some social activities lower down on the list, but we have so much to accomplish this year. With MIL trips to Austin and some Church commitments, I just want to slow down in any free time and just be with my kids.

I am watching...The Office on Netflix. Needing a good laugh! 

I am listening to...my printer copy 100 sheets of the blank page for states and capital workbook Ceci and Euly are creating. I enjoyed this project with my older kids years ago. 

Renovation progress ...is just the opposite of progress lately. 
After the great foundation repair of 2014, and Sheetrock house takeover repair of spring 2015, I wasn't surprised to see a few hair line cracks here and there. We were told to to expect some. But when the cracks started growing, so did the nausea in my gut. And then suddenly two very troublesome cracks located in pre-repair problem areas showed up,
Just so disconcerting. 
I want to move on to new repair areas and not have a plan to fix sheet rock and repair again. Hoping the foundation man can fix the problem for good.

It doesn't look like it would cause gut wrenching panic?

I am looking forward to...squeezing in one last Shakespeare performance in before school. 

I am learning...proofs with Nicholas as we plug along with Geometry together. I think I'm starting to get it. We are using a Teaching Company course. We have two math books to get through this year, and we are off to a great start.

On a nature walk...Euly and I walked around after the rain and came across  and spooked the herd. Sheila decided to chase them home, but we noticed her hanging out by the creek crossing on the drive. "Forever Baby" (not new baby Hope) was spooked down into the deep side of the crossing, thick with thorny brambles, an area we have not ventured before.

Not our new baby - Forever. She's about 6 month old.


Three times we pulled her out and Sheila spooked her back in, so Euly decided to carry her home.

Sweet shepherdess.

Euly guarded the food from the males so Forever Baby could be sure to eat some grains.

This guy is flirting with his life lately. I walk around with an eye on him and a stick in my hand and he still manages to perform his terrorist sneak attacks which leave me with chills.

 Around the homestead...Hope is growing. The girls took over her care and enjoy it. 


I am pondering...cleaning, scraping and repainting these old windows and using for picture frames down the hall. Craig is encouraging me, it's a big job, but it might be really nice to get deep into a creative project that involves both hard work and displaying my favorite hobby: photography.


One of my favorite things...fall colors around the property.
Most trees are still very green.

A peek into my day...
The sheep and deer's favorite weed - American beauty
I am hoping...my next day book post is more upbeat.

I hope your week is going smoothly.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that Good Shepherd pose! You do have an overflowing plate, and my heart goes out to you. But thank God, you are blessed with clarity of mind, cheerfulness, and family love.How I wish I can give some advice on caregiving for parents with medical problems. For now, though, may I offer my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate the prayers Marcia!

      Delete
  2. Oh my you are going through and incredibly hard time!!{{{}}}
    Love the goat around shoulders pic:) and excited to see what you do with the window frames:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! {{{}}}
      I've started scraping down the years of old paint. No turning back since I've invested time. :)

      Delete
  3. My grandparents had a rooster that chased us. Childhood memories!!! I want one for my kids to experience. Nothing like that fear. They are so scary! Praying for decisions that need to be made for your family. Your posts are always so interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a rooster back when my now 16 year old son was 5. The rooster would pick on him more than anyone. Nick would look out windows and plan his outings outdoors to avoid him, but the rooster would still sneak up on him. He tells stories now of how he was bullied as a child: by a rooster. Our roosters never make it to the one year old mark but I'm not sure this guy will make it until March.

      Delete
  4. Love the pictures Mary, and the quiche was delicious. We haven't used our eggs yet, maybe I will try some quiche myself. Continued prayers for all those hard patches. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! We really enjoyed y'all's visit!

      Delete