Monday, July 6, 2015

Independence Day book and Answer Me This

Outside my window...breezy and humid. It feels like a steam closet out there. Craig and Nick are installing a solar panel for a better opener for the chicken coop door. I'm watching them get some of the outdoor projects completed.

I am thinking...the worst part of having farm animals are the flies. They come in waves. We win a battle, but then another waves comes along.

I am praying for..America! And for people who have asked for my prayers. My kids and their future spouses and vocations. 

I am thankful...for a sweet snuggler by my side! 



In the kitchen...busy place this weekend. We had burgers, I like to pad out and spice myself. I made corn moxeau, not sure how it's spelled but it's a blend of Corn, Onion, Bell pepper, spiced with Tony's. Cooked down for hours on low in butter. 
Tastes so good it could be dessert! 

I am creating...birthday celebration for Ceci, plans for the month.



I am starting to read...Into Your Hands, Father by Wilfrid Stinissen based on Leila at Catholic Bubble's recommendation. 

I am watching...Internet has been sporadic and unreliable so I haven't watching anything and barely have been able to check internet. Living in the Dark Ages!

I am hoping...to stick to my kick start exercise and diet program. I miss the regular exercise and crave to be back in shape. 

I am looking forward to...so many things we have going on in July. Another crazy busy and loaded month. Max moves out to his apartment and I'm excited about helping him decorate and make his own.

Around the house...getting little projects done, towel hanger and beads hung, pool moved to permanent location, pool filter starter, fire works clean up and some minor changes to improve the Ac function. 

I am pondering and pontificating...a meditation about the Church and this country and the separation of church and state concept. The Church does not need America. She has exited for over two thousand years with and among all kinds of governments. The gates of Hell will not prevail against Her neither will illegal and emotional decisions by the SCOTUS.
The reality is America needs the Church, now more than ever.  If Catholics in America practiced the Faith, the country would not have the cultural problems and foundational attacks She is now having. We have to learn our Faith to teach and defend and practice the Chief Corporal Works of Mercy and tenements of the Truth.
The Church will not and can not change to fit the culture. The state can change the word "marriage," but it can not change Holy Matrimony. We pray the First Amendment will stand attacks, but it is comforting to know we have God's word that the Gates of Hell will not prevail. 

A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...From the Ordinary of the (Latin) Mass:
Psalm 42 - Judica Me
Judge Me, O God, and distinguish my cause from the nation that is not holy: deliver me from the unjust and deceitful man.
For Thou, O God, art my strength: why hast Thou cast me off? and why do I go sorrowful whilst the enemy afflicteth me?
Send forth Thy light and Thy truth: they have led me and brought me unto Thy holy hill, and into Thy tabermacles.
And I will go in unto the Altar of God: unto God, Who giveth joy to my youth.
I will praise Thee upon the harp, O God, my God: why art thou sad, O my soul? and why dost thou disquiet me?
Hope thou in God, for I will yet praise Him: Who is the salvation of my countenance, and my God.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost. 
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world withour end. Amen.

One of my favorite things...observing nature. We join the nature exchange 
I learned about from instagram: naturepalexchange
If you're on instagram- say hi: Mom_in_Texas

A few plans for the rest of the week...Nick starts his job full time. For July, we will see him for Mass on Sundays and that's it. I hope he has a good time teaching Weblos about scouting! I have a lot of Church volunteer work for Ccd, Finance Council, and fund raising. A little school work for the girls. And to get caught up on laundry. 



1. How did you celebrate the 4th of July? 
We had family, friends including our priest over for Independence Day. We cooked out hamburgers and shared goodies like potato salad, slaw, veggies, homemade beer, cider and mead.
And desserts of chocolate cake, peanut butter balls, berry pie, toffee cookies with Molly's homemade toffee, Madeleine's and chocolate sheet cake.  Some gluten free.
We had a fireworks show over the pond to rival many small town shows! Kathy added to the fun bringing Roman Candles and bottle rockets.
We talked, laughed, played with a very active and mobile baby Desmond. 
It was relaxed and worth all the preparation. 



2. Do you sunburn easily?

Not too easily unless I'm at the beach. I can still tan, but my skin has changed over the years to include a few spots.

3. Hot dogs. Yay or nay?
Nay.

4. Have you ever personally set off fireworks?

Yes. I shot off a huge Roman Candle for the 4th. Nick was in charge of the larger firework display this year, so I enjoyed my seat in the front yard looking over the pond. Some of the fireworks took up the entire sky. 


5. Have you ever jumped off the high dive?

Yes. My parents' neighborhood pool had a high dive. I didn't like it so much. I get all butterfly in the tummy feeling. Over the years the pool's management decided it was a hazard and removed it.  I wish my kids could have tried it. They more daring.


6. Do you do anything weird in your sleep?
Some times I talk in my sleep and don't remember a word, but apparently the person I talk to believes I'm fully awake.
Lately, (showing my age) I don't sleep much in my sleep. Hormone induced insomnia keeps me up at night.

Have a great week!


4 comments:

  1. Those are the best pies ever! I agree about the church. I think (from what I have witnessed) is that some people are too weak to even go to mass every Sunday. Let alone follow the other teachings of the church that are harder.


    kids woke up...ugh...cannot type...baby girl on my lap! Will look at other posts later;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doing such a good job of capturing life and it's stories. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison, I really appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with what you wrote regarding the Church!

    Flies. Yuck. They are so pesky!

    Time is flying by, isn't it? My July has been busier then I had wanted it to be.

    Have a good rest of your week. I'm behind on my blog reading again ;)

    ReplyDelete