Sunday, June 21, 2015

Day book: now it is summer and Answer Me This for Dads


Outside my window...hot and humid, steamy day.

I am thinking...we did good. Having a happy Father's Day celebration with my sweetheart!


I am praying for..struggling families and young people finding their way.

I am thankful...for Fathers. My dad, my husband and my late father in law. But also all my brothers in law and many good friends'. And for our priest is a great Father of our parish.

In the kitchen...been a busy place, as we are trying to eat out only on Sundays. Just finished baking a batch of brownies after a dinner of ground beef nachos.

We are creating...a rope course. We have excess heavy duty rope and chokes, and my husband is a sweet dad, that he wanted to spend time this Father's Day weekend making another place for the kids to play and explore outdoors.





I am going...well..I went.. to a dinner and concert night with Craig and Molly at the Foundation Room and House of Blues. Wow! I haven't been to a pop/rock concert in almost 30 years. I am a homebody by choice. I am so happy we went. We had a great time the three of us! 

The decor was so unique. The wallpaper was sari fabric. Hmmm.. Wonder if I can work into my redecorating plans?

Wristbands for everything! 

I am wondering...how did Tropical storm Bill effect you?
We had a ton of rain. We are high so the only concern is the road erosion. 
And the pool. Besides rain filling it to the brim, the water runoff went too close to the pool stabilizers and has made it unstable. I wasn't happy where we placed it, so I'm not too disappointed we have to move it. But it probably won't happen until next week.
So after many years of no hurricane season, do you think this year will be active?


A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...for our adopted spiritual father:

An Ancient Prayer to Saint Joseph

O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, assist me by thy powerful intercession and obtain for me all spiritual blessings through thy foster Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer thee my thanksgiving and homage.
O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee and Jesus asleep in thine arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.
St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for me.
One of my favorite things...we attended a nature journal class at our favorite nature preserve. We have attended these over the years, now it's the younger set's turn to be inspired to capture nature in their journals. They will remember details more when they draw them.



   





A few plans for the rest of the week...Nick takes his driver portion of the drivers test. Teen dance, dentist appointments, summer Geometry lessons and maybe a hair appointment for me.



1. What's the best thing about your dad?

He gave us our Catholic faith. He was raised by an Italian Catholic step dad, we called PawPaw, who insisted my dad  become Catholic when PawPaw married my grandmother. My dad was eight at that time. He went to Catholic schools, served (Latin) mass, prayed the rosary. 
I never knew either of his parents to ever go to mass, so it has to be harder to develop such deep devotions without a family around you to foster  the faith.
My mother had been Presbyterian when she met and dated my dad. He lived and loved the faith so much that drew her into her conversion. I know I love the Latin mass due to his love for it.

2. If you've got kids, what's the best thing about THEIR dad? 
His energy, his vision and his enthusiasm.
My kids call their dad: Superman. There is no end to his energy, his enthusiasm and work drive. He does it all for his love for me and them. 
See examples above of rope course, pool, every improvement to property so far. Lots of energy to keep kids energy going.

3. What's the best advice your dad ever gave you?

To detach from money worries. He is a very generous person, especially to his family but also to complete strangers. He has various wisdom he imparts to help his daughters detach from temporarily worries about money:
If your problems are money, you don't have problems. I didn't like this for a long time because I thought I had problems when I was short of money. But I know now he means if health and family and relationships are in tact and striving, then life is good.


4. What's something you have in common with your dad? 
Get focused on a project and worry or obsess over until complete. He's a woodworker by hobby and has made beautiful pieces that adorn our homes. I don't have his talent, but I have the same single mind focus when working on projects.

5. What's the manliest thing you know how to do?
Run equipment and use small power tools.


6. Who is your favorite fictional dad?
Pa aka Charles Ingalls, and very close second place: Atticus Finch and I have a soft spot in my heart for Mr. Bennett and his love for Elizabeth.

4 comments:

  1. That ropes course is amazing. And I love your dad's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dig your ropes course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ropes course...Wow!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete