Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May Daybook: Enjoying spring


Outside my window...green, green, green, the best colors, especially after the rain, nature just bursting with its excitement of abundance.

I am thinking...I wish I could sleep better at night. I'm thinking it's hormone and weather related, I have gotten old! Lilly has been having nightmares, so I let her sleep with us and she suffers from any mosquito bites in her sleep. Kicks, complains, scratches. She doesn't ever pay them mind during the day, but at night the itchiness is unbearable for her and me! I'm trying every relief cream I can find, but she is a restless sleeper!

I am praying for..jobs for those seeking, finals for those taking them, health, especially those fighting hopeless cases of cancer, repentance for fallen away Catholics, safe travels, peace of mind for those troubled, marriages.

I am thankful...all the people in my life, our home, Craig's job.

In the kitchen...I am going to make a recipe I found for Starbuck's lemon cake, (cause I finally remembered to buy lemon extract). It's something I miss about Molly's Starbucks job. Oh and cake pops too, (I'll try those for Ceci bday.)
Starbucks-like Lemon Loaf Cake
for 2 loaf cakes:
3 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Banking Powder
1 tsp Salt
6 eggs
2 Cups Sugar
4 TBSP Butter, softened
2 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Lemon extract
1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed.
1/2 cup Coconut Oil, softened

Mix dry, Mix wet, Combine. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Icing for 2 loafs
2 Cup Powdered Sugar
4 Tbsp 2 % Milk, 
1tsp Lemon extract

I am creating...schedule for this Sunday. It's a busy day with our First Communion class receiving Jesus, reception, enrollment in brown scapular, collecting CCD books, celebrating Mother's Day, and then there's my birthday to celebrate as well. Big day kicking off a big two weeks to follow. I want to enjoy and soak it all in, but I'm afraid it's too much together.

I am going...to a diocesan meeting for Safe Environment. So much to do this month, I also have to file our compliance reports for our parish. Good thing we are small so it should be fairly easy.

I am reading...stories from the Wild West. The kids and I are enjoying this area of mostly overlooked American history: Kit Carson, General Cuter, Sitting Bull, John Sager and siblings, Marcus Whitman, Buffalo Bill, John Bridger, so many interesting, tragic, heroic people and stories to learn. We haven't spent as much time in the past on these stories (with this set of kids) and we are really enjoying them now, especially when one hero shows up on another hero's story. And the girls are still watching Little House, which helps set their imagination for clothing, wagons, trails, etc. I am dreaming of a western state tour road trip, but it probably can't happen this year!

I am watching...chimney swifts dive into my fireplace. Oh my. How many of throngs have taken up residence in my chimney! Judging by the ones flying over my house, too many. I have a fireplace guy coming to look at our many fireplace issues and hopefully evict these guys from my fireplace, but I hope they stay close by to eat all the bugs! 

I am listening to...bugs, frogs and birds. Who said living in the country was quiet? Just the baby cows alone next door, mourning the separation from their mothers, fill the air with noise. The frogs and night insects sing their loud chorus until about dawn, the dogs have something to say about any noises or movement outside. And of course we add our share to the din.

I am hoping...to spend some time thinking about and shopping to prepare for our family vacation. Need swimsuits, sunglasses and water shoes and not much else. This is the least planned and least prepared I've ever been for a family trip and deep down somewhere I'm starting to panic a little. But I have Max's graduation and home projects to think about before, so I really need to carve out some time. The kids ask me if I'm excited about it and are dismayed when I say I'm a little stressed about pulling it all together. Oh to be a kid to be just along for the ride! 

I am looking forward to...college kids to completing finals. It is soooo stressful to see (or hear) the struggles they go through for finals. College is important and has a series of challenges to pass at the institutions ordering to earn that degree, but I ponder the "artificial" stress, although I know it is "real", caused by finals and the extreme opposite relief when it's over. I can relate it to my tax season days where the stress consumed my days, then wen April 15 passed, I discovered the sun still shined outside.
I'm looking of enjoying my kids' sense of humor again.

I am learning...to separate myself from my kids' stress. This is hard, as my kids get older with their own lives, decisions and responsibility, to let them go, and only be an ear, not a mouthful of advice on how I'd do it. 

I'm having fun ...with a new to me app for taking pics on the iPhone Vsco. It could be placebo effect,but I really think the photos are better than via the regular phone camera. It could be just new filters to play with, but it's fun and keeps me occupied while waiting to be helpful with building the chicken coop palace. It's easy to take, edit and post to Instagram.



Around the house...pretty much these pics sum it up, chicken coop, chicken coop, chicken coop. It is huge and sturdy and really more like a small house than a "coop".

I am pondering...the next project, always.


One of my favorite things...Shakespeare at Winedale. And meeting my sisters there who come from other parts of Texas. What a treat! The spring session of UT's Sharepeare class studying Wit, Language and Romance performed Love's Labour Lost. A first for me. I just am always in awe at Shakespeare understanding of relationships, especially between men and women in romance. This story highlights our (women's) ability to be snarky to the point of almost losing love, and squashing a man's enthusiasm for expressing his emotions. 
As always it is a fun place to be, the country side is gorgeously green with all the rain, the barn is fun, we sat in the third row and we have the great company of family before, after and during intermission, looking forward to many plays in July.



A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...From the play. I really liked how real Berowne was:

"Berowne: From women's eyes this doctrine I derive: They are the ground, the books, the academes, from whence doth spring the true Promethean fire. O, we have made a vow to study, lords, and in that vow we have forsworn our books; For when would you, my liege, or you, or you in leaden contemplation have found out such fiery numbers as the prompting eyes of beauty's tutors have enriched you with? Other slow arts entirely keep the brain, and therefore, finding barren practisers, scarce show a harvest of their heavy toil; But love, first learned in a lady's eyes, lives not alone immured in the brain but with the motion of all elements courses as swift as thought in every power and gives to every power a double power, above their functions and their offices. It adds a precious seeing to the eye: A lover's eyes will gaze an eagle blind. A lover's ear will hear the lowest sound. Love's feeling is more soft and sensible than are the tender horns of cockled snails. Love's tongue proves dainty Bacchus gross in taste, for valour, is not Love a Hercules, still climbing trees in the Hesperides? Subtle as Sphinx, as sweet and musical as bright Apollo's lute, strung with his hair. And when Love speaks, the voice of all the gods make heaven drowsy with the harmony. 



A few plans for the rest of the week... party planning, birthdays planning and seeing what I can combine at Max's graduation party. Max is busy finishing finals of his senior year of college and looking for a job. This saggy oil economy is so hard! So many people already out looking for work a head of a college graduate. He has had some promising interviews, but didn't come through. He has a few options still and is considering graduate studies as well. 

Discoveries in our nature walks... Ceci discovered cottonwood tree blooms. And compared Lilly's hand print to raccoon tracks, made me think about how big that raccoon might be.



A peek into my day...

Blurry - but still cute

3 comments:

  1. Separating ourselves from our children's stress is important but..a real growth area for us as parents.
    Love what you have to say about Shakespeare and women and men, never realised before but true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much here! Being a parent is the hardest job in the world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete