Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Rock Delivery- An Ordeal

I feel like talking through the happenings around here and why I keep praying :
St Joseph:

    Remember, O most chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who implored your help and sought your intercession were left unassisted.
 Full of confidence in your power I fly unto you and beg your protection.
 Despise not O Guardian of the Redeemer my humble supplication, but in your bounty, hear and answer me. Amen.

And how we added holy helpers: Saint Michael, Saint Christopher, Saint Charbel, Saint Anthony and Saint Francis (he was added to watch over chickens tonight) to pray for us.

I started this while waiting and helping when and how I could as two big trucks tried to dig their way out of our soggy ground. Loaded each with 25 tons of rock. They didn't want to back down my drive, and wanted to turn around in the rain soaked ground by my already fragile condition road.

Not a good decision all the way around and my nature had me feeling guilt or responsibility for a situation that was not my doing, past ordering the rock in the first place. I hate to see people in impossible situations. I don't know if they had back up help to call. They were probably missing out on other work trying to get out of here. We lost a day of work spreading the rock. We lost a school afternoon. Not what anyone planned and not good all around,
Except

It was a beautiful day. No one had lost a temper, all just worked calmly and safely to get the impossible situations under control.

We had so much rain this past week. Angry rain. It's still appreciated.

Angry rain does lots of damage to the road. We have to work on redirecting rain run off but for now we are trying  to correct rain damage and cover a spring that popped up in a new spot in the road. Springs are cool. We even were able to point where it seeped up. But why pop up in the middle of the road?
It makes the kids want to do this:

Craig found a couple of pipes with holes and they dug trenches to lay in to leach some water under ground. I can't see that it has helped. So we ordered the rock.

Nick had worked tirelessly for hours. He had to  be getting hungry running the tractor, moving dirt where the truck dumped it takes lighten load and he tried to pull the truck out of its foot deep trenches. He's such a good person, calm, patient, hard working. Never complains. What would I do...where would I be without his help?!


Hours and hours passed. We tried pulling with the tractor, with my 4wd, with both vehicles. Hope.. movement!! Then it slipped back. And this was only one truck, it was getting late and we hadn't tried freeing the second truck and the first was still deeply buried. Axels deep. We tried and helped as many times as they asked.
one stuck left, one stuck right

I must admit, there were moments I wanted to swear off being a planning part of any outdoor projects again. Ever. Seriously. And definitely not ever when Craig is traveling again. Promise!

I'm not cursed. It's something with the road. I love our road, I take lots of pictures on the road. Our road has caused people problems and worry since the beginning. The original dozer operator hired to clear the road veered off a little far, and cleared into the neighbor's land, causing the sale of a long, skinny strip of land to be exchanged. The renter previous to our purchase had been stuck routinely, each new neighbor we meet has a story to tell of helping him out. 

Finally, the truck drivers called in help. We fed them, we gave them drink. Waited. For hours. We listened to stories of trucks flipping in similar situations...after we had helped all day. Prayers were heard.

The kids needed to get ready for bed, ready for our big day ahead. The drivers still worked.

It got dark fast, only a sliver of moon tonight.

We heard and tried to interpret whistles, creaks, bangs, horn blasts, metal clangs, and hoped with each it meant they were done. The most recent horn blast was 11:53 pm. Sorry neighbors. But we also heard engine revs after that. The girls prayed the nighttime prayers hoping the drivers were able to go to their homes soon.

After the littles fell asleep, Euly and I watched from the top of the road, until we both agreed we had to go to bed. Still couldn't sleep with engine noises revving at 12:24 a.m.

Hopefully they were home safe before too much longer. I hope they didn't forget to dump the load of rock they came to deliver!

1 comment:

  1. What an ordeal! and knowledge learnt. Our place gets so wet and I tell people now they can't deliver (or pick up cattle) when it's been raining.

    ReplyDelete