Monday, March 16, 2015

Daybook: A Good Weekend

Happy Laetare Sunday!

Favorite quotes today.... Missing the Dowager? Here are some of her quips. 

Outside my window...
we had a very nice weekend. Sunny Saturday with temps getting in the 70's.
Sunday was overcast and very pleasant to be outdoors.
We had windows open, spent lots of time outside, and enjoyed some projects together.

I am praying for..
fathers in the Saint Joseph novena:
Glorious St. Joseph, foster-father and protector of Jesus Christ! To you I raise my heart and my hands to implore your powerful intercession. Please obtain for me from the kind Heart of Jesus the help and the graces necessary for my spiritual and temporal welfare. I ask particularly for the grace of a happy death and the special favor I now implore.
[Mention your request here.]
Guardian of the Word Incarnate, I feel animated with confidence that your prayers in my behalf will be graciously heard before the throne of God.

V. O glorious St. Joseph, through the love you bear to Jesus Christ, and for the glory of His Name.
R. Hear my prayers and obtain my petitions. Amen.

I am thankful...
for the luxury of a solar gate opener. Just push a button, no need to get out in the rain to open the gate.

setting our code.
We did a lot of work on the gates and fences on property, to prepare for animals we will have soon.
We had to close up holes in the fences and close up unused gates. We let the dogs test the repairs and so far so good. There are places where the creek crosses the property we have to reinforce yet to do.
We had a beautiful day to work on closing this gap.

In the kitchen...
I am proud to say the kids have stepped up and spent a lot of time in the kitchen this weekend making good meals and goodies for the rest of us to eat.

I am creating...
a coat/towel hanger out of vintage door knobs. I have some more to do, I'm excited about how this will turn out. (More photos then).

I am wondering...
when my girls became so grown to decide that it was time to get chickens. Molly and Euly went in search of their favorite kinds of chickens to raise and came home with Ameraucanas, Rhode Island Red and others with all the feed and bedding they needed.
These guys/gals are a little bigger than I'm used to starting with, which I am happy about, but know that means they will want to be outside sooner.


Molly, our original chicken whisperer, teaching her younger sisters how to care for chicks.
they will be well loved.



I am reading....
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up recommended by Rachel 
Read Rachels' review. It is quirky and has some strange cultural differences, but the author, Marie Kondo, gives the tools to see what to keep and what to get rid of.
Keep what brings you joy, give away items that don't.
 I filled the back of my car up with items and took to Goodwill, and have another load to go.
I can't go through everything, I just don't have the time. But I used her method with Ceci and Lilly's room.

Also, it is easier now that I have my youngest, mostly likely not to add any more babies, so I can let go of things that I had set aside for the next kid. If I was still in that mode, it would be a difficulty. Instead of wondering about things bringing me joy, I used to wonder about keeping things to save me money. So it maybe a season of life thing, appealing to some and not applying to the next.

I am watching...
The Goonies.
Max is home from college for his last spring break, so that's why.
I forgot about some inappropriate references and scenes, which I always seem to do when recalling a movie from the 80's. Did I not notice back then, it has it just been too long to recall!

I am listening to...
the girls play with the chicks.
They name them and observe their silly ways. 

I am hoping...
to get the chick coop/house renovations underway by next weekend.

I am looking forward to...
spending time with Max this week for spring break. 

I am learning...
how to set fences. I have learned a lot helping Craig. Nick and I are going to tackle a section for the garden area by ourselves.

Around the house...
Craig decided to hang a swing for the kids. He had his eye on this branch,  used a long rope, fished it up around the branch, fastened a rope and the swing to it. The branch is probably 30' off the ground, so the swing span is quite far.
One of my favorite things...
is listening to Max and Craig plan the next projects for the kids' area. They selected trees for a zipline, trees for a treehouse, for a crow's nest and the area we will rebuild the playscape (whenever I get around to collect components from my sister's ranch). Projects to go well into the future.

A few plans for the rest of the week..
running to Dallas on an errand for Max's graduation, A Mid Summer Night's play practice, a diocesan meeting for Virtus, Spring break interruptions. Busy week.

Something that made me laugh, chuckle..
Ceci turned Gromit into a lion.

A peek into my day...
the swing that goes round for hours!



Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Fun pictures! That pooch is so sweet! Yah...little chicks! We are getting some this year also!

    I have a son home on spring break also. Our lives are sorta on the same track...just in opposites states!

    Love to see flowers. We had great weather this past weekend...but we have cold weather coming and looks like the highs will be in the 30's next saturday so the flowers better stay in the ground!

    ps. it is almost noon and my college son is still sleeping!

    ReplyDelete