Monday, February 23, 2015

Daybook- end of February already?


Outside my window...Brrrrr! A cold front is moving in, and temps drop from 73 to 39 in a few hours! Gray, cloudy, windy. Expecting to hear some sniffles with that big of a swing in temps.

or in same day

I am thinking...I'm happy we live close to Max's college, so when he needs a break from school, he can spend some of the weekend with us, building playmobile castles for his little sisters, who adore him for it. 

I am praying for..my God-children and kids I've sponsored for confirmation.
And for persecuted Christians around the world.

I am thankful...that we are almost done with the little house demo, and can start to think of starting our next project.

In the kitchen...roasted pork butt, roasted gold potatoes and sweet potatoes with onions, broccoli and 
Pecan pie to round it off.

I am creating...project to clean up and install the medicine cabinet (out of the little house) into the girls' vanity area of their bathroom.


I am going...to take the kids to this exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts
It's so exciting to see Catholic works displayed in the museums. 

I am (still) reading...
Jesus of Nazareth (Pope Benedict)
Four Witnesses (Rod Bennett)

Because of my friend Carol's enthusiasm for Swallows and Amazons, we started reading it this week.
Kids love it. It's fun to imagine a sailing adventure with siblings.
They did not like Lawson's Ben and Me. They just couldn't get into the mouse's p.o.v. of Ben Franklin.

I am watching...Downton, well, I will be later, because pbs.org uploads the video later and later the following day from when its aired, making me practice patience. Haha.

I am listening to...Lilly and Ceci play Zingo. Craig took Nick, Euly and my nephew to a Mikes Christi youth retreat talk. Molly is doing schoolwork so it's just me and the girls hanging out.
Ceci made us dinner, and we prayed our rosary, and now they are trying to settle down for the night. My kids all negotiate during game playing, it used to drive me crazy, but I actually think there is value to some of the chatter.

I am hoping...they get a lot out of the retreat and tell me all about it. The topic is "The Virtue of Unselfishness.'

I am looking forward to...a good week of school, my middles have a plan of how to get their work done this week, with the goal of finished math lessons by mid May. They have incentives and a schedule. I hope to have limited distractions to help get them started off on the right foot.

I am learning...to try to give my kids more direct attention and eye contact, instead of answering questions on the run.

Around the house...finally making plans with my Sheetrock guy. He looks like he will be able to do the work, which he estimated taking 7-8 days. Not sure how soon he can start, or how we will live around the work happening. Craig patched some areas but with his work and travel, the sheetrock repair project would take a long time. We are getting used to the flaws, but I know we need to have it repaired to ensure the foundation repairs we made sufficiently.

I am pondering...Lenten thoughts
Saint John's words:

He must increase,
 I must decrease.

Good words to be my Lenten motto.

I am rambling and wondering... about helping my children foster a friendship with Jesus, to feel close to Him, that "personal relationship" that is important for one's well being.

We are discussing how to change habits that lead unintentional sins, be conscious of our actions and words, use self control. So we are trying to get to know Jesus through reading this lent
Through mass, and sacraments,
Through holy hour,
And sacrifices we can relate our "suffering" to Christ
And prayer to increase of faith.

Lilly said she really wished she could see Jesus in His body. It's challenging to bridge that longing to  understand God Christ's presence in the Eucharist.
I know if have felt that way and wished I was on that road to Emmaus many times. We also are trying to think of and to look for Christ in the people around us.

When getting to know anyone, we have to spend time together. We share feelings, thoughts, hopes and aspirations for the future and take time to listen to them. When we love another, we want to be with this person whom we love. This is true for all types of relationships. Love seeks to be with the object of its love. Jesus is love. Jesus is wholly present in the Blessed Eucharist, all of Him, so to better our relationship, we have to spend time.

We started using the Holy Defender cards just to throw out random anti Catholic or confused questions Catholics get so they will be a little better prepared.

A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...
"The truth is like a lion;
You don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself."
St. Augustine of Hippo

One of my favorite things...
helping the girls get to sleep, especially when Craig is out of town, and they keep me company. I love listening to them sleep.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
School, maybe passport renewal, more government form filings, dance class, teen dance party. We are going to receive another kitten from an old friend.  This one is a descendant from my sister's good mouser cats. She gave one to my friend many years ago and now my friend is selling her small farm, I said I'd take any kittens who needed to find a home.

A peek into my day...we don't have a lot left on the demo. I took photos each day this week of the progress, but really it looks a mess and a fire, so I'll spare you.  Almost done. I want the dumpster hauled off this week.
Here's some of the mess:






I am pondering...celebrating/living Lent in different climates. We have days of spring like weather. Is it easier or harder if the weather is bleak? If you look out at a gray day and say, yep, it' still Lent. (Gray days feel like penance to me, sunny days are like heaven!) Or are others not affected by weather and temperature as I am?  

2 comments:

  1. No doubt about our CRAZY weather!! Only in Texas ;)

    Lovely daybook with so many thoughts...and thought provoking for my mind at the same time.

    Have a wonderful week down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well our Lent here in Australia is in a diff weather to yours, end of summer beginning of autumn. I imagine it makes it a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete