Monday, January 12, 2015

Grey Days Daybook

Outside my window...I know I said I wouldn't complain about rain, I will just note that normally during Texas winters, we gets lots of sunshine between the storms. I need some of that sunshine. I am tired of grey, cold and rainy outside.  One day of our big ole' Texas sunshine now and then, and I'm good...

I am thinking...how much I love EmergenC, fresh squeezed orange juice, vitamin C, apple cider vinegar, honey and Camu to help boost immune systems. We've been exposed to two different things: Lilly has one, Craig has the much worse other. I'm fighting with all I have
to avoid either!

I am praying for..health in my house. My husband has a bad case of the flu. He is the one that stays healthy, so it has hit hard....
Then again could it be ManFlu? Apparently it's a Thing.

"The pain and suffering of Man Flu is similar to that of child birth 
TRUE - Though at least with child birth it's all done and dusted in a few hours, but Man Flu can last for weeks..."
-from manflu.com

Don't worry...He's too sick to care about any sarcasm on the blog. 

I am thankful...for a later Mass Sunday since I didn't want to leave Craig so early. The church in Brenham is beautiful, the Latin Mass is lovely and the priest's sermons are always good. I missed my parish, and the kids missed Ccd, but we are blessed with a good make up church nearby. Lilly felt better by afternoon.

In the kitchen...Molly lives. If we wonder where she is...it's in the kitchen. She made the chicken soup, muffins, cookies, hot chocolate, cheesecake - gluten free with an oatmeal crust and regular crust out of graham crackers. She and Craig made strawberry and raspberry jam- 19 jars total! Good stuff to eat on these ugly grey days we don't go outside!


I am creating...not much right now: focused on wellness and getting everyone back to school. College kids start Monday, so our routine will simplify. I have some projects in mind, but not mobilizing yet.

I am reading... I'm working on a plan of what direction to go next, we finished Sherlock. We are in Colonial America for history, which inspires me toward Jane Austen for literature because of the period pieces... And rainy days make me want to watch Pride and Prejudice, so we'll read first. I'm working on a reading plan for Lent as well. Church History for Ccd.

I am watching...the Sherlock Holmes series show of their version of Hound of Baskerville. I liked it and thought the changes in basics of story line for our century were good. Nick and Euly didn't agree, didn't like it, didn't watch more than ten minutes. They only liked seeing what the moor looked like. All good. Their imagination is fine.
I have Downton Abbey waiting for me on pbs.org ( when Internet is free).

I am listening to...heavy rain on my roof for the umpteenth night. Metal roof, can't ignore it and just makes me feel dread this morning and guilt. I decided to drive Max's truck up the road before all this rain, he has a job interview lunch and needs his truck. So I will lead the charge early to get it down the soggy road, praying it doesn't get stuck. School days are always interrupted when college kids are home without a regular routine. I'm not complaining, I treasure their company and cooking.

I am wondering ... How long Max will stay. Classes don't start for another week. Since moving to the country, some conveniences are different. Internet is awful, basically non existent. If one is one browsing, no one else can do anything. Netflix works with lots of patience through the lags. Our best option is dial up, I'm considering adding satalite to have two people be able to get something done. (I don't want tv though). Our phones work with Mcell through the Internet, so if someone is on the phone, Internet doesn't work, and visa versa!
So for a connected college kid, that's an inconvenience! Also! We don't have a microwave, since he doesn't keep all our same hours for meals, he'd like a quick snack warmed up, gotta plan ahead when heating on stove or in oven. We don't need to rehash road conditions since he has two wheeled drive (which I have been reminded that was my decision 11 years ago, where was my foresight?! :). It's funny how fast the rest of us adjusted, but he's still living in world out there with modern conveniences. I think it makes it easy for him to move on and crave his own place after college, in just one semester away!

I am hoping...get a daily exercise routine because...
I am looking forward to...a trip we planned for the Cayman Islands for a college graduation gift! Win for hotel and airline points!!

Around the house...working on plans for placement of garden, chicken coop, animal pen, front gate replacement, fence repair, lining up animal purchase (may have three goats soon)...but I need drier ground and a feeling well husband for implementation.

I am pondering...raccoon trapping. Not having success ridding us of our unwelcomed guest.


A favorite quote/verse/prayer especially for today...

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the
Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart: the salvation of souls, the reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer, and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.

One of my favorite things...this weekend, celebrating Nick's success with gaining Eagle rank in scouts. We had a lovely celebration and then dinner out with 15 of us before mom and dad hit the rainy road home. 

A few plans for the rest of the week...eye doctor appointment, HMNS science day, visit from a dear aunt, cotillion practice classes begins. 

Something that made me laugh, chuckle..true from southern Texas POV.

A peek into my day...these two sweeties warm my heart. Usually Lilly goes to sleep in her own bed, and Ceci in her bed next to her, and usually around 2-4 in the morning Lilly has a nightmare, screams, calls me until I wake up and brings her to sleep with me. If she sleeps with me from the beginning, no nightmares, but Ceci is lonely.
So this morning I woke up around 4, waiting for the call, no call. I started this post, no call. Fell asleep, then when I awoke on my own, I discovered why she sleep well:

Snuggled sisters. Sweet kitty standing guard. 

Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. Cayman Islands!!! That sounds so exciting! Cannot wait to see pictures!

    I am in the deep dark blue picture. The sun is shining today...bitter cold out. You can tolerate it if you dress for it. Still amazed to see people out running in this weather.

    Beautiful picture of the statue of Mary and her Infant Child.

    Like the kitty-cat picture also. She is a nice skinny kitty! My two girls snuggle together also. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I loved having my college kids home too, but I confess by the end I was craving routine which had disappeared whilst they were home. They've gone back now and we've settled into routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super sweet photo, that last one. Super delicious looking soup up there toward the top! Had a grand chuckle over the manflu!!!! No doubt! I'm with you on the dreary skies. I heard it is suppose to get back to normal by this weekend, just in time for the March for Life in Dallas. (My teens are going again.)

    The trip sounds AWESOME!!

    Wishing you a great week ahead. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete