Sunday, January 4, 2015

Daybook first Sunday of 2015

Outside my window...we were surprised with a frozen windshield this morning. Thankfully the sun came out,  although it didn't warm up much.

I am thinking...I don't usually blog this much, but I am inspired lately. I'm sure to slow down with school starting again Monday.

I am praying for..a very close friends who's family is dealing with a life crisis; my sister who is taking care of her mother in law during Alzheimer's; my children as the start another semester of school.

I am thankful...for helpful, sensitive children. Not always the case, but I am enjoying the atmosphere here lately.

In the kitchen...found some Nutella cookies Molly made. We are making chicken enchilladas for dinner.

I am creating...a frame for a painting I bought a couple years back and never did anything with it. I am inspired to use window frames out of the little house, just gotta figure out the how...I am thinking it needs a matting. For now,mI left the window rough/original, jus cleaned up a bit.

We used door trim from the little house for trim in the utility room. I like having parts of the little house "live on."

We are going...to bless our home with the Epiphany Blessing this week. (It isn't my turn to sign up for blessing from Father, since I did last year, and he already blessed my home last month, so I'll resist being a pest and let someone else enjoy this wonderful Epiphany blessing).
20 + C + M + B +15
As an Act of Faith, not a superstition, this is written in blessed chalk over each door to remind us of the three wise men (Caspar, Melchior, Balthazar)  and how they traveled great distance among dangers and hardships. We travel outside our homes exposed to dangers. So we ask the wise men to pray for our safety, also hoping for His Holy Angels to watch over our travels and protect our home and all of us who live here.

"For this day is born to you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord, in the City of David. And this shall be a sign unto you. You shall find the infant wrapped in swaddling clothes, and laid in a manger."
Luke 2:11,12

I am reading...a book my friend Lisa gave me years ago. She's seen us through a couple of these country properties and knows my heart is a farmgirl (wannabe). 
MaryJanes's Ideabook, Cookbook Lifebook.
Getting lots of good ideas. It's one of those books I have to flip through looking at all the gorgeous pictures first, then go back through and read and take in chapters I'm interested in slowly. 
Thinking of Lisa all the while.

I am watching...a marathon of Legend of Korra, Molly's idea.

I am looking forward to...the wedding at the end of the month, Max was fitted for tux, we need to get flower girls' shoes and hair cuts. 

Around the house...no big projects planned while Craig is busy with work and we get some school completed.

A quote/verse/prayer for today...
"I think at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity." Eleanor Roosevelt 
I agree curiosity is very important, but the most useful gift might be a loving heart. 

One of my favorite things...
Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Little House Books
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful, to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong."

A few plans for the rest of the week..finish preparing for Nick's Eagle Court of Honor. I need to make table decorations, get his project book, and order cake. We have school to do, a committee meeting, Epiphany water blessing, Epiphany feast and Nick's Court of Honor on Saturday. Make appointments for eye doctor, schedule dumpster to be delivered and look into road materials to be delivered.

Something that made me laugh, chuckle..do you have a Snap Chatter in your midst? I find the taking of selfies annoying, I can't tell if I'm intended to be in the snap chatted photo or not, so I started turning the tables, or iPad, and pretending I'm snap chatting as much as my chatty kids. 
 

I am pondering...Goals to 2015, just going to go ahead and get some in black and white.

1. Build a Clothes line
2. Establish and grow a Garden 
3. Can foods we grow
4. Dewberry picking, make jams and pies to share.
5. Build a Chicken coop and share our eggs.
6. Go to Tennessee: see Aunt Carolyn, go to Farms Mill, spend time with Uncle Bill, see Lisa and Gigi on the way, visit Ave Maria Grotto.
7. Loose the weight for good/ track calories again.
8. Rebuild playscape.
9. Bring Rv home and back to life.
10. Remove little house
11. Get Ag exemption
12. Sew banner for girls; get comfy using machine.
13. Make a Mary Garden.
14. Add regular daily mass during the week, confession on regular schedule.
15. Get exercise in regular routine.
16. Meet neighbors.
17. Read more books.
18. Get Gluten free.

I am thinking for this year in front of me and big and little events for 2015:
Epiphany water for blessing
Joseph and Angela's Wedding!
Candles for Candlemas
Plan a deliberate Lent
Nick drivers license 
College Graduation Party for Max
Help Max move after graduation 
Take Molly on her trip to San Francisco
Annual River Trip... Maybe?
Visit San Antonio- Alamo, River Walk, other sites 
Lily turns 5, Ceci 10, Euly 14, Nick 16 (license), Molly 19, Max 23
Molly moves off to college this fall.

A peek into my day...

Not sure if Sheila likes being Lilly's object of affection, but we all enjoyed the time outside today despite the brisk and windy chill air.

7 comments:

  1. Reading all the 'big and little events' on your list this year I'm struck again by how the older our children become the busier our lives are! I was chatting with my husband about this the other day, whether this year our life would be easier (last year was a corker!) and yet already in March alone we have two nieces marrying and my brother's engagement party, the year hasn't even begun! I guess this is the season.

    btw recently found your blog and enjoying another mama of many ages chat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Motherhood is very different with these older ones. What's that saying, motherhood is like having our hearts traveling outside our bodies", but now our hearts are off and away driving in cars. :)
      I'm glad you stopped by, Erin!

      Delete
  2. I just lost my comment! Ugh.

    You have a lot here. Things that hit home, the re use of old wood. Love. San Antonio. Heading there the end of jan with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be there at the end of January for my nephews wedding! We hope to have some down time to take in some sights. It's been a while since we have visited.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to bless our home. I have the kit from church yesterday...just need to clean and FIND IT!

    I like the weight loss goal. ME TOO ME TOO! I actually want to be in shape. Like run and not die!

    Love your posts...hope you dont slow the blogging too much~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the frame. It came out really nice! Enjoyed reading your goals and highlights of the years. I need to sit down and finish making my list. :-)

    ReplyDelete