Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Brand New Year and a very old Feast Day

We spent New Years Eve day preparing. We really enjoy the preparing part of parties, Molly, Craig and I have a system to getting things done.
We cleaned, we shopped, we prep'd.
We made fajitas, Spanish rice, refried beans, guacamole, jalapeno dip, brownies. 
We had the fireworks ready. Craig and Nick built a bomb fire because the temperature was dropping. We were ready.

s'mores making - check
My parents arrived first. We exchanged Christmas gifts, and my dad surprised me with a beautiful turning he made with three different types of wood. He has been sick a couple of times over this fall, and he has been busy making a table for the soon to be newlyweds, so I had no idea he had time to made four turnings: one for me and each of my sisters. His gifts are treasures.
They also gave me this picture from their wedding -  55 years ago!

I put a collection of some of his turnings on my mantle after I took the stockings down today.
Friends and family came soon after. Many of Molly's friends and their friends came -  what a blessing it is to meet new friends at my age! One of her friends brought his family, also Catholic homeschoolers, who have lived in this part of the country for a long time. They had so much to share with us about extra curricula activities and restaurants to try in the area. With three local homeschooling families present, we are making our own support group. Also so nice for my kids, who want to know they have friends nearby.
 
 
There were groups all over the house and in and out. One of the things I looked for in a new home was a more open inviting floor plan where many could visit without feeling exposed or on top of each other, I enjoyed the flow last night. It was cold, but the fire welcomed everyone out at some point, especially during the fireworks war with our neighbor. We have not met, but we have already had a couple encounters. They shot off fire works, we shot off bigger ones, they shot off even bigger ones to match and so on until we ran out of things to shoot and then we played with sparklers.

I thought we might count down the year there, and call it an early night, but everyone stayed, we all celebrated ringing in 2015 at midnight. They didn't stay much later, many had long drives back into Houston or out to points in their neck of the woods and prairies. We are so thankful for friends and family to warm a cold winter night and cheer the new year.




My parents left early and we let the kids sleep in to catch the latest possible feast day mass of the day. It was rainy, cold and ugly outside, and we decided to take it easy today. We received some troubling news from a very dear friend whose family is greatly in need of prayers. It will be a challenging year for many. May God's Will be done and our Blessed Mother wrap up us in her mantle. 
Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
Theotokos - God-bearer
Mother of God & Queen of Heaven
pray for us!

Happy New Year! Happy High Feast of Mary- honoring her solemnity. 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great night, Mary! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patty! Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. See that bookcase in one of your pictures!!! I would die and go to heaven to have that! My books are in boxes, piles here and there, some in a closet. I have a spot my husband was going to work on starting after Christmas...but he fell yesterday on the ice. Really hoping he did not break his wrist.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I hope your husband is ok. We've had rain stopping all the projects we planned to get done during my husband's vacation this week.
      I wish we were close enough for you to stop by, have a cup of tea and talk books!
      Wishing New Year blessings to you, Christine!

      Delete