Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mid Summer Daybook


Outside my window...a summer afternoon thunderstorm is rolling in. It's very humid but is considered a cool day for August at 90 degrees.

I am thinking...patience is not my virtue and my lack of patience (waiting on the time for the short sale unknown on the house we are waiting and waiting to buy...) has propelled me to look at other properties in the market. We spent an afternoon looking at three potentials, but none match up to the potential of the one we are waiting for... Back into forced patience mode. Unless we talk ourselves into one of the other properties. 

I'm almost talked into this one, except it has an unusual acreage set up. Why are we drawn to the unusual or unique properties?
Another reason I want to get settled already, the dogs have been giving Miss Betty a little trouble. They run off if she turns her back. Usually Gromit goes alone, but lately he's talked Shelia into going off with him. They have gone off exploring in each different direction from the property. They have been very lucky that there are wonderful dog loving people out there who play with and detain them after calling me to come get them. There are very good Samaritans in the world. Saint Francis, pray for us!

I am praying for..my little ones to battle this cold, sore throat and malaise that we are besieged with at the moment.

I am thankful...for having the best husband in the world! This weekend marked 27 years or marriage, and he secretly arranged a weekend get away which included pampering me with skin treatments, massage, mani and pedi, followed by a wonderful dinner out at Morton's. Isn't he the best!?!


I am reading...Rush Revere aloud to the kids. Answering the old question, how to retell the story of the Pilgrims that hasn't been told the same way, and to make American history interesting. Answer seems to be: add a time traveling, talking magical horse. Worked for us. Kids loved it.

Also reading  
Failure is Impossible: Susan B Anthony in her own words. Revolutionary woman. 

Also Grain Brain by David Perlmutter Just to remind myself I really don't need that tortilla, biscuit or piece of bread. We really have eliminated most grain in our diets, but we still have work to do. Good motivation, keep our brains healthy. Unfortunately the most common summer food in our menu is ice cream, flavors vary.

Scanning and prereading 
Father Laux's Church History. We are thinking of using it for a CCD class for kids who were confirmed this past year. The 1950's B&W format may seem dull, but the material is very good quality.

I also have started reading
Guerilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids A Read Education With or Without School
A real conversation starter amoung moms while hanging around the pool with school aged kids. I haven't gotten very far and I'm not sure there is anything new for me, but I'm looking for a back to school pep talk.

I am watching...

It was loaned to me by a young fellow at church as his favorite.
I'm not normally a John Wayne fan, I don't enjoy westerns. This was a romantic comedy set in Ireland. Beautiful countryside. A funny story. Didn't let my littles watch. Those passionate kisses and dragging his wife through the countryside might be a bit much for my impressionable girls. I wanted to watch to discuss with the young man who was sweet enough to loan it to me.

I am learning...how fun 
Busy bags are. I wish I had done this with the other kids more. Lilly is happy at have found it and Ceci loves being Lilly's "teacher".



I am pondering...my crashed computer. After starting at the blue screen of computer death, I asked my son to help. Max is convinced it is a video card, which must have crashed in the latest serious lightning storm, when lightning surged the plugs with electricity, and I hadn't put my computer on a surge protector. Dang. Not have I done a recent back up. Double dang. Photos, personal data all inaccessible, for the time being, but Max promised me it is not lost forever. I have been doing necessary work on my old computer, lately used as the game computer. I found an old camera data card and loaded the pics to see what these were. Found old pics of a chubby Lilly baby and the one of the girls: 

One of my favorite things...finding old photos that might have been lost. Also seeing these three having silly fun together from a couple of years back:


A favorite quote for today...


Something that made me laugh...from an email:

They're Back! Those wonderful Church Bulletins! Thank God for church ladies with typewriters. These sentences (with all the BLOOPERS) actually appeared in church bulletins or were announced in church services: 

The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.

-------------------------- 

The sermon this morning: 'Jesus Walks on the Water.' The sermon tonight: 'Searching for Jesus.'

-------------------------- 

Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands. 

-------------------------- 

Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our community. Smile at someone who is hard to love. Say 'Hell' to someone who doesn't care much about you. 

-------------------------- 

Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help. 

-------------------------- 

Miss Charlene Mason sang 'I will not pass this way again,' giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.

-------------------------- 

For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
 
-------------------------- 

At the evening service, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice. 

-------------------------- 

The church will host an evening of fine dining, super entertainment and gracious hostility.  

------------------------------- 

Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B. S. Is done. 

-------------------------- 

The pastor would appreciate it 

Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday.  Please use the back door. 

-------------------------- 



Hope you are having a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment