Wednesday, July 16, 2014

phfr: Loving the Sheep and the Goats

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~

Matthew chapter 25: The Sheep and the Goats
And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.
Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.
Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me not to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you covered me not: sick and in prison, and you did not visit me. Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee? Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me. And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.
What is it about goats? Why were they chosen as the metaphor for the damned? As babies they are pretty sweet and cuddly. The goat mama was just as attentive as the sheep. Is it because sheep can be led easier than goats? Is it because goats eat anything and sheep are more discriminating?

Pretty...
We visited Miss Betty this week and played with three sets of new babies. Two lambs twin sets and one goat pair.The goats have been around children their two short months and loved the girls' attention. Mama goat bleated patiently while we had our fill of baby snuggles.
The lamb mommas weren't as trusting, but had no choice. They impatiently bleated loudly back and forth for the few moments that my girls held them. An observation, we were surprised the goats were much softer than the baby lambs.

Lilly wanted to name the goats, "That's a girl, I'm naming her Ice Cream". Ceci thought they should be Chocolate and Vanilla. The little black lambs need names. Euly picked Midnight and Ceci is having a hard time coming up with its twin's name. (Ebony is taken for one of the horses). Any suggestions?
The brown and white set were named Cutie Pie and Floppy Guy (his ears flop and she is pretty cute!).

It rained on our visit, but the girls didn't mind playing in the rain with these sweet summer babies.





We later learned her name is Cinnamon.
She seems to enjoy the cuddle as much as Euly does.


Happy...

Even in the rain:

Three sets of summer babies:

I believe this is Midnight, bleating away,  the twins look basically the same.

Funny...

This sweet sheep Annie was born last year to a mom too young who didn't produce milk, and needed to be bottled fed by Miss Betty. She grew up in and around the yard, making friends with the dogs, well now, actually believing she is a dog. She has no fear, and has too much curiosity for her own good. It's good that Gromit is gentle, he just wanted to make friends with her.

We worry about how Sheila would treat Annie. She is sheep dog, for heaven's sake.
My dogs are loving this experience of farm life.

Real...
This little peacock baby has a misshapen foot. Miss Betty has tried different techniques and splints to straighten it, but none have worked yet. It's a happy little guy, whistles all the time. I'm sure he will manage fine under her care. I spy a green feather and a fancy plume starting to emerge.

2 comments:

  1. I love the snuggle pictures! So cute....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, the poor goats in that scripture do make me long to be part of the sheep. Is this where we get the word "scapegoat"from? Is that even how you spell it? How fun to be around all of those animals, and a peacock! Very Franciscan :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete