Monday, July 14, 2014

AMT: answering the questions...

Linking up with Kendra again this week...

1. How did you get your name?
Mary Valery
I was named after our Blessed Mother, as she played a big part in my mom's conversion to Catholicism, also my mom and grandmother both have Mary as their first names but go by their middle names.
I love my middle name, Valery. I'm not sure there is a story for it. When I was little they tried calling me "Val," but it didn't stick.
My parents considered naming me after Saint Felicitous. After learning about her and her sons' brave martyrdom, I chose her for my confirmation saint. 
My oldest son was born on her feast day.

2. Do you have a set time for prayer in your day?
We try to pray the family rosary at 9 p.m. We don't always with so many different schedules. It is a good time to get everyone together for transition of the day to night routines.
I try to pray morning prayers before I step out of bed. During the day I talk to God about the big and the mundane, and try to thank Him for the little things and have phrases that pop in my head and on my lips for all situations to try to stay mindful during the day:
Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee.
I love you, Jesus.
Thank you, God.
Apparently, I make the Sign of the Cross a lot when I drive, based on my kids asking why I just did it. We have the habit when passing a Catholic Church: to say hello to Jesus, when hearing sirens: to pray a Hail Mary, and just for safe travels.

3. Did your mom work or stay home (or both)?
Mom stayed home most of our childhood. She welcomed us home from school with snacks, sewed our clothes and was a happy and skilled homemaker.  When I was in sixth grade, she went to work in communications at the same company as my dad to help save for our college costs. I always thought it was so sweet that they carpooled to work.

4. Do you vote?
Yes, since my eighteenth birthday, I have voted in every general election, and in most primaries. Can't have a voice if you don't make your choice. 

5. What's your favorite drink?(in order of frequency of consumption, opposite order of favorite-ness ):
Water with lemon
Unsweet tea
Strawberry margaritas 
Merlot
Windjammer (Oj, pineapple juice with amaretto and vodka.)

6. How are your photography skills?
Not great, but I love my subjects, so photos usually come out fine. My focus is more about getting the memory captured then capturing it artistically or even technically correct. I have loved taking photos since I was a young child and bought my first camera in grade school yard sale for 25 cents.


I need to have the desire to learn more about manual settings. Sometimes, I get on a kick and actually practice. Most time I point and shoot, even using my phone more and more out of convenience. What helps my lack of knowledge is with the amount of pictures I take, there is bound to be a good one! I love to catch different expressions and life as it is happening. I am not good with nor do I like to take posed photos, especially when more than one person is involved.
one of my favorites from this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment