Sunday, February 2, 2014

Daybook - A short lived break from winter


Outside my window...well, yesterday, it was very pleasant, very spring like, mild weather.  Today, winter rolled back in.

I am thinking...about today's feast and this old English rhyme:

"If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight.
But if Candlemas Day be clouds and rain
Winter is gone and will not come again."

Clouds and rain today....
I am thankful...for today's beautiful liturgy. We had a procession for the feast of Candlemas.
A storm had rolled in the few minutes we were already in mass, and all candles blew out on our go around the outside of the church, everyone sharing their lighted ones as we can back inside. It was beautiful. We also had them lit during the reading of the Gospel and the Canon of the mass, which kept the little ones (and parents) on their toes. Nothing caught fire, thankfully. Then when mass was over we had the blessing of the throats for st Blaise feast say tomorrow.

I am praying...On each February 3 (or the Sunday closest) the blessing of St. Blaise is given: two candles are consecrated,  held in a crossed position by a priest under the chin of the people. The following blessing is given: 
"Per intercessionem S. Blasii liberet to Deus a malo gutteris et a qouvis alio malo." 
"May God at the intercession of St. Blaise preserve you from throat troubles and every other evil."

In the kitchen... Chocolate Sheet Cake

Chocolatey yumminess:
2 cup flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup water
2 stick butter
4 Tbsp. Cocoa
1/2 cup buttermilk (we use almond milk)
2 beaten eggs 
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
Sift together flour, sugar and cinnamon. Boil together water, butter and cocoa until melted. Pour over flour mixture. Mix well. add milk, eggs. soda, and vanilla. Mix well, pour in greased and floured 13x9x1" pan. Bake 400 for 15 minutes. 
Frosting
1 stick butter
6 Tbsp milk
4 Tbsp cocoa
Bring ingredients to a boil, remove from heat. Add 1 box powdered sugar, 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well and pour over cake while still hot.

I am wondering...how I missed the agenda in Frozen, once I read Steven Graydanus' article "So, how Gay IS Disney's Frozen."  It was all there for me to see, I think I was distracted by the popcorn.

I am reading...Our Young Folks' Josephus: Antiquities of the Jews and the Jewish Wars
A quick retelling of Jewish history, starting with Abraham through Jesus's family tree. My kids enjoy this straight forward version and quickly know Abraham & Sarah- Isaac & Rebekah- Jacob & Rachel - tribes of Israel... Good for middle school ages.

I am watching...Downton Abbey. Do you read Rachel's summaries, comments and reactions?

And this - it's so sweet, and vaguely familiar



Something that made me chuckle.... Proving laughter is contagious
If you can stand it, you will laugh ( start around 1:42)



A peek into my day...my two little girls decided to entertain me with stories and a circus style obstacle show.
Ladies and... ahem, ladies...
today you will see amazing feats of these little girls...
"Ok, one second,  I need to tell you a story..."
Ok, mama, I found two leaves; you be the mama and I'll be the baby..."


Obstacle course bike riding

synchronized dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment