Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WWRW: What we're watching and reading Wednesday

My husband would list this is as my newest obsession: Foyle's War on netflix. This series is new to me, recommended by my friend Carol and her husband. 

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle during World War II solves local and war crimes alongside endearing characters: Sergeant Milner and driver Samantha Stewart, and occasionally Foyle's RAF son, Andrew.  The episodes last an hour and half, a pretty good commitment of time, packed full of meaty, intriguing stories. Not to mention the beautiful landscape, (remind me to add Hastings to my dream tour of England).

More murders and suicides than you'd imagine would happen in this seaside village. I usually watch late in the evening since some scenes are more than my littles should see. 

Foyle with his modest introduction,"I'm a policeman," in WWII England, wishing for a better position to help the war effort than simple police work, some times realizes his contribution is more than solving petty crime. Not your everyday crime show, it's smarter, with a couple of crimes to solve each episode. You don't always see the solution to who-dun-it ahead of Foyle.

DCS Christopher Foyle: You know, I sometimes wonder why I do this job. And then I come across someone like you. I mean, we're living in such evil times, when the whole world seems to be sinking into some sort of mire. And as if Hitler wasn't enough, we got the likes of you, who capitalize on other people's misery, who hurt them, make things even worse for them when they're at their weakest. And it's with the likes of you that this... mire... begins. And it's some small consolation to know that I've helped to clean up just a little bit of it.

I love Samantha, aka Sam.  My favorite character.  Played by Honeysuckle Weeks. She reminds me of a grown up Euly, with her positive attitude and friendship with her boss, Foyle. She is a hard working, resilient and creative young woman with an ambition to help the war effort and to be more than a driver.  And her freckles: Precious!

Start at the beginning to see the relationships grow. You'll get hooked. 

I am there for the stories, but the bonus is seeing the stylish fashions of the 40's. If I could get the patterns from the show, ... well I don't sew, but, .. maybe I'd learn to. Modest, feminine, stylish. I love Sam's hair style while in uniform. Some cute styles here, here, here and here!



She is so cute! In the beginning, Foyle seemed to think she was impertinent, but I think her respectful sass is refreshing. 

In one episode, Sam, who hopes to be an aspiring police detective herself, mentioned her favorite author from her childhood: Edgar Wallace.  Always eager to find new/ old authors, I looked him up and found many of his books free on Kindle. I downloaded a few and started with The Green Rust. 
>

This story is based in the time after WWI when the world knew there were good guys who would defeat the evil guys who wanted to take over the world. Green Rust is something that could destroy the world's food supply. 

Olivia is a likable character, creative and resourceful. The hero, who has the kind of timing where things just work for him, made me wonder if Ian Fleming read Wallace for Bond ideas.

Fun stories, maybe a little predictable, but still fun. I read half of the book in the first sitting. Nice find for free and so happy to have many more waiting for me when I have time to read.

I can see why Sam's character liked the stories and how she would have been influenced by them reading as a young girl growing up in a small English village.




In continuing the series in Green Knowe, and my continued English literature obsession, we read A Stranger at Green Knowe by Lucy Boston. This one was a little different, and is fun to see how the series changes focus with each new story. The house is always central to the story, not based on certain characters or mysteries. Not to give too much away, we learned about gorillas and the kids were inspired to learn more on their own.

3 comments:

  1. Would you say The Green Rust is appropriate for middle-school and high-school girls? And Foyle's War? England, WWII, mystery, fashion: all of my favorite things in one place! I just went back and found your first Green Knowe post. I know two girls and one mother who are going to be THRILLED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foyle's War might be a bit violent (or aftermath of violence) for middle school, since murders and suicides plague these stories. Some scenes are more subtle than others. My middle schooler is a bit sensitive.

      Green Knowe series is lots of fun!

      Green Rust would be fine for middle and high school girls.

      Delete
  2. The Green Rust was free for my Kindle! Happy Dance!

    ReplyDelete