Thursday, January 16, 2014

16 days in and already revising my word of the year...for a good reason

I wrote this about my theme for the year on Holy Abandonment. But now I want to change it. It is a lot of pressure on its own.

I need to practice and live life letting go of my will to follow God's ...So I'll just revise it to add another word to help me focus: Laughter.

Laughter should be welcomed.  Gaiety, happiness, cheer should be included more often consciously and unconsciously in my/our daily life. As strange as it seems, it is the how I'm going to accomplish steps toward Holy Abandonment.

I've been thinking about this since I spent some time with my friend MT, who would be embarrassed to know I talk about her here, maybe, hope not.

MT is a playful trickster who gladly gets me in trouble because she knows I need to lighten up and laugh more. You think I'd learn to see the tricks and jokes coming, but she's always one step ahead. I blame it on growing up without a brother.

MT has experienced unimaginable sufferings in this life and humbly walks in faith with laughter, a smile and a twinkle in her eye. I have not walked down the sad roads where she has had to. When we've discussed these sufferings, she smiles through the memories and moves on. 

In Saint Faustina's Diary, Divine Mercy in My Soul, she states, 
"Oh, if only the suffering soul knew how much God loves it, it would die of joy and excess of happiness! Someday, we will know the value of suffering, but then we will no longer be able to suffer. The present moment is ours." (693)

My friend is one who finds joy despite sufferings, probably because of the sufferings. I want to be like MT, so I'll try to learn from MT. 

She says happiness is a decision. She has struggles and worries, but decides to approach it all with a light heart and a smile and consciously looks for a way to find humor in life. It works; it's contageous. She is a joy to be near and I feel motivated and happy after spending time with her. In some shared situations I have felt silly like a schoolgirl giggling when others around us are so serious, and realize it's fun to be in trouble. It's not only okay to be silly and lighthearted, but good for the heart.

Could it be part of Matthew 18:3?
(Jesus) said: Amen I say to you, unless you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 

I always enjoy the shared laughter and the light heart it brings. The silly memories stay and make me a smile. I need to carry her like a little angel on my shoulder reminding me to keep perspective, poking fun when I take it all too seriously.

Job 8:21 Until thy mouth be filled with laughter, and thy lips with rejoicing...

When this is all done, if I'm blessed to get there, I will find MT in heaven where I hear the angels laughing. 

As we wait in joyful hope, ...


No comments:

Post a Comment