Monday, December 23, 2013

Daybook ramblings on lots of random things

I am thinking...about current events and about the old adage
Hate the sin, 
Love the sinner
It's from St. Augustine.

And wondering when did Americans redefine tolerance to mean we have to embrace what we don't believe and redefine what we hold to be true? Truth is truth. 

tol·er·ance
ˈtäl(ə)rəns/ noun
  1. 1.
    the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

  2. "Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them.
  3. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate." 
  4. Phil Robertson

I am praying for..this crazy country full of citizens with dangerously short term memories and for all the poor and suffering in this world this week of our Savior's birth. Conversions too.
And for thanksgiving for friendships and perspective on life. For mothers and fathers who have lost children and their comfort this Christmas. And all those fighting cancer, the flu and other illnesses. And the safety of travelers.

Unfortunately, persecution is a reality in our world.
Have you read Mark Steyn's article

Looking at online comments surrounding this week's outrage, many Americans didn't know the spelling or proper definition of this word either:
per·se·cu·tion
ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSHən/ noun
  1. 1.
    hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of race or political or religious beliefs.
    "her family fled religious persecution"

A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...
Matthew 5:43-48
 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

I am thankful...for my dear Catholic faith and our sweet Lord who came to save us all.

I'm also thankful for homeschooling. whether you homeschool or not, we all should support the right to: have you read this?  Or this -especially if you live in Ohio!

Peace on Earth, and Goodwill to All Men...

Ok, back to happier thoughts
In the kitchen...cookies, cookies, cookies.
Molly made Laura Bush cookies, I made peanut blossums and I made gingerbread men cookies and Euly added some personality with icing.

I am creating...cookie baskets for neighbors and friends. I have to hide them so no one around here sneaks...You wouldn't believe how fast these would go.

I am going...We went...to my husbands local district work party. Families were invited, it was a really big party. We pretended it was date night (the girls went too)...


And...they had a Santa Claus for pictures for the kids. Weird fact about us: we never have done Santa Claus pictures. Well, not never, just once when Max was three and there was a Santa at the library in Alabama and he casually met him and they took their picture together. Not planned. Not dressed fancy. Never the mall Santa. But the girls: never.  I have a thing about not forcing my usually very shy kids into meeting a random stranger playing dress up, sitting in his lap and telling him their hopes of obtaining toys. 
Bah humbug? Not really. Well, not intentionally. I love Christmas and all that traditionally goes with it. I have my own mixed childhood memories about Santa. As a parent,  I do have a thing about not making Christmas about Santa.
We celebrate St Nick on Dec 6. Santa does visit and leave the smaller of the gifts on Christmas, but the big items get credited to mom and dad. And why not? Ok, I'm being a little defensive. I never "believed" by the time I knew what Santa was, ahem, cough Viv one of my big sisters told me he wasn't, and I was always ok with that. So I didn't have that particular sense of wonder, or heartbreak of being lied to...or whatever that is.
Craig's family had a different opinion and encouraged the whole Santa thing; sometimes having Santa knock on the door for a visit... Just strange to me. If you go any store anywhere in the south from Thanksgiving on, the clerk will ask your  child what Santa is bringing them, and wait for their answer.  My kids all probably had a degree of belief and hope, just not a desire to talk to the man dressed up representing Santa at the mall.

Until the company party....
Now Lilly loves to talk to anybody and everybody that will talk to her. So here is a friendly gentleman that welcomed her with a big hug and she could not resist. She talked and talked and told him about her family. They didn't discuss toys or what she wanted for Christmas, because strangely no one has asked her that question before. I don't think she could have an answer. Sixth child - what doesn't she have? They talked about the party and how many people there were. He knew the names of her siblings by the end of their visit. He was a very sweet man.
And his beard was real, which made me suggest the other girls (boys didn't come with)  maybe it would be fun to have their picture taken for a keepsake... At least once in their childhood they could, maybe. 
Don't they look excited about it? What does their body language say?


As much as Ceci objected to having the picture taken, she has treasured it, and held on to it, looking at it the rest of the night. Maybe at 8 she still has a little hope for some Santa magic.

I am wondering...why I am obsessed with staring at and taking pictures of my sleeping kids. So peaceful quiet and beautiful. 
Well, I guess that's it. Just scrumptious!



I am reading aloud...A Candle for Our Lady about two siblings pilgrimage to Walsingham, England in the 16th century. Another OOP Catholic Banner book. When it comes to good books, I live in the past and only seem to have old OOP books to recommend. Should I put a OOP warning on my WWRW reviews?

Now that everyone is home and off work for the rest of the year...we're exploring choices on netflix streaming.
We watched...Bandits
I have been a Bruce Willis fan from Moonlighting, and there have been some bumps along the way, but still he's one of my favorites to watch.  Craig randomly picked Bandits, a movie we hadn't heard of before, but had a lot of fun watching it. Silly, goofy adventure romance. Good guy bank robbers you cheer for! Except Bruce with long hair, I could have done without. I am not a big fan of Billy Bob Thornton, he did carry the annoying side kick off well. And Cate Blanchett was adorable the whole movie. It might have been a little long but the twist at the end was well played. Watch through the credits.

We also watched The Way. Can anyone watch this movie without wanting to start their own pilgrimage plan to walk the Camino de Santiago?! Craig and both are dreaming of  walking it and making this pilgrimage.... Ya know, someday....
 Craig's saint is Saint James, so I think it is a must! There is so much information on the internet - starting here. We think we'll start our years long preparation and plan some hiking this summer as our family trip. We'll wait until Lilly is old enough to walk it too - so, maybe when she is 15, so twelve years to prep?  

Craig turned on Apocalypse Now after the rain cancelled early Saturday plans. Craig's pick. I'm not a big fan of war movies.  I hadn't watched since I had to in a college history assignment, and in 1983, the Vietnam War wasn't as far back as it is today. It was too real a movie for me and considered dropping the class to not have to sit through it. 
After seeing it again, it is still a very powerful movie. War is hell and I am sure no movie could ever do justice what needs to be understood. Thank God for all are brave servicemen and their sacrifices.

General Corman:    “In this war, things get confused out there—power, ideals, the old morality, and practical military necessity . . . because there’s a conflict in every human heart between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph.”

I also noticed how young Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall  and Harrison Ford were - just young babies. But Marlin Brando- he's always been in a timeless league of his own.

We also watched Machine Gun Preacher, only because I am a fan of Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera). This movie story line confused me, until the end finding it was based on a true story. It is hard to watch and it left me with many ponderings of Uganda, thankfulness for first world problems, and wondering how can a country/ a continent ever be lifted from such persecution and constant strife!? Can an outsider solve it?  I don't think so. But I can see reason for Sam Childers' need to try, but not sure it was worth his family's sacrifice. So hard.

Around the house...fourth Sunday of Advent- we are decorated, only thing missing is ... baby Jesus! All the manger scenes are waiting expectantly! For some reason, either Cc or Lilly like to gather all the empty mangers together...waiting...

I am pondering...weather induced insomnia- is this like a real thing? I find myself awake in the middle of the night for no reason. I need sleep and had no caffeine and it's not the "getting to be an old lady" hormone insomnia: that's a real thing I know. 
This weather thing, I'll be lying there wondering why can't I sleep, no worries nothing keeping me up, I'll pray; nope, no sleep. Then I'll hear the rain come, sometimes it's a big storm, sometimes a drizzle. There's gotta be a real connection. Ever experience it ? Change-in-barometric-pressure insomnia...?

A few plans for the rest of the week:
Celebrate the birth of our Lord with midnight mass and joy filled visits with family and friends during the week. The kids picked the menu for Christmas dinner and it looks like steak and potatoes are most requested.

Something sweet to share from facebook..it kinda makes me long for a white Christmas. But I'd hate the cold. :)




A peek into my day..from our family photo session by Max.

Happy Christmas Eve Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment