Sunday, November 10, 2013

Veteran's Day Weekend

Happy Veteran's Day Weekend!



I'm thinking about..
 JR, my father in law, retired Air Force, veteran of both Korean and Vietnam Wars.

My husband was born while his dad was in Vietnam.

From photos he took in Vietnam:

JR worked with and on helicopters most of his career in the Air Force and his non military career. One of the responsibilities he had in Vietnam was helping to retrieve the fallen American soldiers' bodies. 


 A very dangerous mission, most of the times behind enemy lines, and under fire. He would go down to retrieve the fallen soldier, send him up to the helicopter and wait until the crew could bring JR back up. 
Many times under heavy fire. He told many scary, brave tales of near misses to his life. What a mission to have those families know their loved one's fate and have a proper burial, instead of so many of the unresolved MIA's.




Today we visited a 3/5 scale traveling Vietnam Wall Memorial in our town after Mass. I looked up some names for my uncle, also a Vietnam Vet, and thought about JR's work. How many of those named heroes did he encounter?

From the website about the Wall:
"The latest names added in 2011, brought the number of names on the black granite Wall to 58,272They are in chronological order, according to the date of casualty within each day, the names are alphabetized. For the dead, the date of casualty is the date they were wounded (received in combat) or injured (received in an accident); for the missing, the date they were reported to be missing. The list starts and ends at the vertex (apex), beginning at the date 1959 (with first two names listed from the date of July 8, 1959) and the inscription 
IN HONOR OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES WHO SERVED IN THE VIETNAM WAR. THE NAMES OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES AND OF THOSE WHO REMAIN MISSING ARE INSCRIBED IN THE ORDER THEY WERE TAKEN FROM US."


 OUR NATION HONORS THE COURAGE, SACRIFICE AND DEVOTION TO DUTY AND COUNTRY OF ITS VIETNAM VETERANS. THIS MEMORIAL WAS BUILT WITH PRIVATE CONTRIBUTIONS FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. NOVEMBER 11, 1982

JR passed away over six years ago, his service and sacrifice will not be forgotten.



We located names and found the one for my Uncle Ky's friend who died next to him in Vietnam.

I am praying for..
youth to make good prayerful decisions about their future and people in their future.


A favorite quote/verse/prayer for today...

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.

I am creating...
Sunday school plans on the ladder Jesus gave us to get to heaven: the sacraments.

I am reading...
E. Nesbit's House of Arden as read aloud.

I am watching...
Captain America with Craig as a lazy Sunday afternoon break.

I am listening to...
Tenants of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, hopefully to get into before long dentist appointment tomorrow.

I am looking forward to...
Thanksgiving to spend some relaxing time with family and try out a few new interesting recipes. 

I am wondering...
What do we know about GMO?
Genetically Modified Foods...was this designed by serious Zero Population Growth people's ideas?

“No long-term studies have ever been done on humans, but when you look at the studies that have been done on animals, it’s pretty appalling,” Goldberg said. “You’re talking about liver damage and kidney damage and when they fed it to hamsters, the third generation of hamsters weren’t able to produce babies, so there’s real safety issues.”

I am pondering...

It seems to be healthier to try foods and recipes that are naturally gluten free, instead of the pre packaged gluten free fad foods.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
It's hard to think past dental work scheduled for Monday but I also have to get Boy Scout recharter finished, science day Tuesday, friends visit Wednesday, soccer practices and maybe a BBQ with a neighbor we met at the park.

Something that made me laugh, chuckle..
 Max warming up with Ceci for her soccer game.


A peek into my day...
Lilly reverently listening to Coach's pre game talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment