Sunday, September 15, 2013

3 reasons I love Catholicism

Three reasons hosted by Micaela at California to Korea, and back again
In honor of the Sixth anniversary of the Summorum Pontificum, and the 25th anniversary year of the establishment of the Priestly Fraternity of the Society of Saint Peter, I present my:

Three reasons I love being a bells & smells, veils & rails Latin Mass loving Catholic.


SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM - DEO GRATIAS

"It is therefore permitted to celebrate the Sacrifice of the Mass following the typical edition of the Roman Missal, which was promulgated by Blessed John XXIII in 1962 and never abrogated." -Pope Benedict XVI

Priest: I will go to the altar of God.
Server(representing all of us): to God, the joy of my youth
Psalm 42:4
1. 
Coming away from Mass fulfilled. 
In mind and spirit, fulfilled, satisfied, ready to face my week fulfilled. The lessons learned in the Latin Mass, from following along the missal, listening to God the Father through the prophets in the Epistle, through God the Son in the Gospels and to God the Holy Spirit through the Church's teachings in the priest's sermon. No one would getting away calling Catholics people who don't read the Bible if they followed along to the Latin Mass, full of scriptural references, Old and New Testament, interwoven with the beautiful Traditions of our Faith. The priests' sermons give us much to think and pray about, lessons to assist our lives and lessons to deepen our understanding of our God and what we are to do to know, love and serve.

Priest: Our help is in the Name of the Lord.
Server: Who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 128.8
2.
Reverence 
The Latin Mass is a reverent celebration of Christ's sacrifice with love and devotion due our Lord. Every time our Lord's name is mentioned, the priest and servers bow their heads in loving devotion to His holy name. Holy Communion is received on the tongue while kneeling, the humble position to receive Him.  Modest dress in both sexes is encouraged, as we are visiting the King of Kings in His own house. Modesty encourages a reverent devotion to our Lord and teaches us to practice the due respect we owe Him, and kindness to our fellow mass goers. Humble acts and prayers begging Our Lord's favor and forgiveness for us, our loved ones, our priests and leaders prepare us to offer, with and through the priest, Our Lord to join us with Him. The 1962 missal's rubrics are followed so mass is consistently structured we can understand and follow, know what to expect week in and week out. Watching the priest's deliberate movements teach us about the reverence due and given to Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist.

Priest: The Lord be with you
Server: And with thy spirit.

3.
I love the Latin Mass, because it is in Latin.
People often ask me why I would drive an hour away go and take my children to mass in another language. It's a funny question, I don't look at Latin as an other's language or as a dead language;  it is the language of the Church, it is our spiritual language. It belongs to all of us. Regularly, I don't pray prayers in Latin much more than the Pater Noster and the Ave Maria, but I do pray the Mass. I follow along in my missal, or the conveniently supplied Booklet Missal with side by side Latin/English text, and explanations in the margins.  The first High Mass we attended my kids called the up/down/up/down mass because we didn't always understand why we made the movements in following the Mass. The more one attends, the words and rhythms of the Mass flow, and we stand, sit, kneel by instinct after following along.
The Credo, The Gloria and Salve Regina sung/chanted in Latin send my soul soaring, and fill me with happiness. Not known for my singing abilities, I'm thankful for the Gregorian Chant as it is designed for all of us to join in. The chant and musical selections are created to help our thoughts toward prayer, not providing distractions. 



To spend time learning and appreciating the TLM will enrich any Catholic Mass experience by helping to understand why this or that is done and what certain prayers mean. Priests are also happy to help us understand the Latin Mass.

Other resources of interest for the TLM:
Know your mass (children)
Unfortunately there are many Latin mass parishes and communities across the country which are not under Rome, and consider themselves independent from the One True Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.  We aren't holier than the Pope, and don't want to frequent communities which do take that stance. They are the "independents", SSPX and Sedevacantists, which may look so very Catholic, but are not, and can be the most misleading of the protesting defectors from the church.
Fortunately many dioceses offer Latin Mass in some of their regular parishes, others invite groups in to establish parishes:
Our Lady of the Annunciation Monastery of Clear Creek

Visit a Latin Mass and tell me if you think it is beautiful and makes you love being Catholic.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting so many great links - looking forward to combing through them during nap time. I haven't ever been to Latin Mass, and it seems a little intimidating...Hubby also isn't a fan of the "foreign" language mass, so I love your take on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :)
      I know I was intimidated at first too. And there is a predominant silence in the sanctuary, but the others attending are usually very helpful, since it is new to so many of us. I found the priests to be extra helpful and encouraging when asking why. There is an explanation for everything, every movement, vestment, altar arrangement, posturing....

      Delete
  2. Mary, this is beautiful. I've never been to a Latin Mass either, and more and more I'm wanting to find one nearby. Your post is only getting me excited. I especially appreciate what you say about Latin being our spiritual language. That's a beautiful way to describe it.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Micaela. Thanks for the link up and inspiration.

      Delete