Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Parting is such sweet sorrow...





Summer is winding down, the first box of fall curricula appeared on my doorstep yesterday.

Max finished his summer internship and has turned his attention toward organizing books, clothes, and dorm boxes to ready the start of his junior year.

Molly signed up for her senior year classes and has her books ready, just itching to stock up on school supplies.

Most regular summer plans, trips, visits and vacations have been experienced.

My kids are growing up. Life is moving fast.



I am enjoying this new phase of motherhood which allows me more independence to run errands, go to appointments and even an occasional date with my sweetheart.

Especially these days, I am so thankful to have Lilly here with me. At three, she isn't old enough to run down to the neighbors to play with her sisters. I have quiet time of reading to her on the couch where, occasionally, our voices are the only sounds in the house. She has an active imagination populated with all kinds of imaginary friends, monsters and other peoples. "Mom! Why are you walking on my children?" when I walked in the middle of the playroom, "Sorry, I didn't know anyone was there?!?!" "Don't wash that bowl, it's where my friend IO lives; you're ok IO." Some of these times, I just stop what I'm doing and decide to play, play like I did when Max was three. I played with the ones in the middle, but mostly they played with each other. Lilly is at the end, at a greater gap..

We build Brio train tracks, work puzzles and play restaurant in her play kitchen. Play is fun! Play is good bonding time, and I know she is content just being with me, it's is better for her person to have me be with her. It is good for me to remind myself, the dishes can wait, the folding can wait, these moments are so precious! When playing together, you learn so much more about your children than you do in other aspects of life, don't you agree?



The girls' are counting down the days the pool will be open, and times we will have without "school" to be done. It's August, in Texas, unfortunately we do not see signs of fall just yet.

Another sign summer is winding down, when we see our last play at Winedale. I met one of my sisters with three of her kids,  Craig and Lilly stayed home. I missed her, but enjoyed being about to have the time with my middle four. I hadn't seen The Tempest in full, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. 


The eight year old girls could not contain their enthusiasm and excitement for all the sounds and costume changes, and a unique twist with Puppies, puppies, puppies! and an unfortunate misspeak of a word "fart." Some parts of the first act bored them a little as the story unfolded, but once the action started in the second act, they were mesmerized, on their tippy toes in the balcony overlooking the play. It probably was the most physically demanding play for the actors with wardrobe changes and a convincing stormy shipwreck scene. The girls quoted some of their favorite lines during intermission and once the play was over.
They didn't block my view, I had fun watching their excitement!
  • Long drive home, after that late night. I was content to spend much of my Saturday morning like this:

    In The Tempest, after Miranda's father agrees to her marriage with Ferdinand, and the couple shares a moment of joy, Prospero gives the groom a warning speech about keeping their relationship pure before their wedding. Shouldn't all dad's so warn the young men in their daughter's lives?

    ProsperoThen, as my gift and thine own acquisition 
    Worthily purchased take my daughter: but 
    If thou dost break her virgin-knot before 
    All sanctimonious ceremonies may 
    With full and holy rite be minister'd, 
    No sweet aspersion shall the heavens let fall
    To make this contract grow: but barren hate, 
    Sour-eyed disdain and discord shall bestrew 
    The union of your bed with weeds so loathly 
    That you shall hate it both: therefore take heed, 
    As Hymen's lamps shall light you.

  • FerdinandAs I hope 
    For quiet days, fair issue and long life, 
    With such love as 'tis now, the murkiest den, 
    The most opportune place, the strong'st suggestion. 
    Our worser genius can, shall never melt 
    Mine honour into lust, to take away 
    The edge of that day's celebration 
    When I shall think: or Phoebus' steeds are founder'd, 
    Or Night kept chain'd below.
  • ProsperoFairly spoke. 
    Sit then and talk with her; she is thine own. 




    Saw this on facebook, thought this was a creative way to remind us of how many of us are these days: 



    Good, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Just to say I am happy to read your words and see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! Hope you are having a relaxing week. :)

      Delete