Thursday, June 27, 2013

pretty, happy, funny, real

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~  

pretty
Pretty summer days for these pretty girls to swim

happy...
That I have been able to take time for myself (and whoever wants to join me) most evenings for a long walk around different paths in my neighborhood. Tonight no one was available to go with me, so I enjoyed over an hour to pray, meditate, make mental lists and generally clear my head. I changed my route and ended with this view on the last leg home.


funny
Ceci spotted this silly face peaking up outside the back door. I hope he wasn't stuck.




 real
My garden started this year with such promise. With May mild temperatures and abundant rains,  my tomatoes and beans were already producing before Memorial Day..



Then the deer realized my electric fence battery was out before I noticed, and tasted every plant in my garden, showing special delight in my strawberries, tomatoes, beans, squash, and cucumbers. Trying hard not to be discouraged and revive what's left, I am hoping with the Texas sun we have plenty of time to recover.
 For what ever reason, the deer did not like peppers. They tried bites here and there, but left most unharmed.  I always try to grow peppers, normally without much success. This year, we are all about peppers, but no tomatoes, cucumbers, beans... The kids and I eat these raw before dinner, but we are still picking more than we can eat, so time for Stuffed Peppers.


In a salute to the circle of life, I used venison in my recipe. If you try this, don't skip the "M.S.G." - Mint, Salt, Garlic. The mint gives a wonderful light aromatic scent and Lebanese flavor. Recipe could also be used to stuff squash or cabbage leaves.
Stuffed Peppers
1 lb. ground meat/ venison
1 cup rice (brown works)
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. salt
10 peppers, tops and seeds removed
1/4 tsp M. S. G (mint, salt, garlic)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 can tomatoes  
Wash peppers and cut off tips, scoop out seeds. Mix all the meat, rice, salt, pepper, allspice and M.S.G. Add 1/2 can tomatoes. Fill hollow shell and arrange in stew pan. Use rest of tomatoes mixed with water and 1/2 tsp salt to cover again. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350. I keep covered for half cook time.


go see more contentment at Like Mother, Like Daughter...

1 comment:

  1. The circle of life. HA! Our garden is unfenced and last year did fine but I am nervous again this year...there seems to be a whole lot of wildlife these days!

    ReplyDelete