Thursday, January 10, 2013

pretty, happy, funny, real

round button chicken
~Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life~

pretty
Rainy days here with booming thunder storms that are fun to watch from the back porch.
Lots of rain leaving big, wonderful puddles for the kids to play in.


happy
Our girls/boys groups held an Epiphany party.
We're always happy to get together with friends.
Three King procession singing Christmas carols following the star to deliver gifts for the food pantry.



funny & sweet
Since Lilly isn't enrolled in the group, I didn't think about bringing a gift for her to exchange. She didn't care what was in the packages, she just wanted to be part of the fun in giving. (musical chair style gift pass to Christmas music). Lots of fun.
Her brother let her have his turn.


real
I've had a sadness cloud floating around me the past few days. I'll catch myself questioning, why do I feel an impending doom? I usually shrug it off and go on with a little pit in my stomach.
This evening it hit me. Max is leaving for college on Friday.  This isn't big news; he's gone three semesters before.  So this time, why am I so sad; why is this parting different?
It is the beginning of the end. There aren't going to many more of these leisurely days between semesters where he will be home to make his momma laugh with his giggles and grins and that sparkle in his eye that makes me not take life so seriously. He'll be working on an internship all summer. How can I have sadness when my son is going out into the world with confidence to accomplish his dreams? This is that I want for him, and more. 
But, our life full of ordinary days just felt numbered.
How full of tears and joys is a mother's heart!


May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall softly upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

2 comments:

  1. My oldest is a junior in college and yes - I've felt that same sadness. My 2nd leaves for the Marines in June (and he dares to try and get that pushed up *sob*). It is so rewarding to watch them grow up and so hard to watch them leave home. I truly enjoyed reading your {pretty,happy,funny,real}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy!
      It's a little funny and thrilling how enthusiastically they want to leave. I have to remind myself I felt the same way about starting my *own* life. sigh.

      Delete