Sunday, December 16, 2012

Life this weekend

FOR THIS WEEKEND
This Third Week of Advent - Gaudete Sunday
"He must increase, but I must decrease."
~ Saint John the Baptist
Outside my window...
Wonderfully dreary rainy day. Humid, not cold.
I am thinking...
about this tragedy and how many media outlets immediately turn to politicize the issues. Gun control. Not the answer. Another channel blamed video games. My 21 year old niece told me their generation grew up with a different outlook on violence. Have you listened to lyrics out there?  We need to acknowledge it. Not good. But in the age after Columbine, violent movies, violent games, violent song lyrics..the causes are more subtle, the problems are more fundamental.
Since guns don't change, people have changed. How about considering these reasons:
Behavior modification drugs are over prescribed without knowledge of long term effects on various mental health conditions.
I couldn't embed it, if you want to see a video on sad, violent effects of over prescribed psychiatric medications here and regarding suicide and prescribed drugs here.
Also, FAITH. Do they have a belief system that teaches them what is right and wrong??
It is time to get real, stop enabling the evil doings and stop politicizing!
I am praying for..
peace for souls involved in the Newtown tragedy, for our country and sweet innocence lost.
I am wondering...
how to encourage infant baptism.
Is that a weird thought after the Newtown tragedy? Not really, I thought about all those innocent souls, have they been baptized in Christ? Our God is merciful, but why not imprint upon their heart, their souls His seal as soon as they are physically in his world?
 "Let the little children come to me" and become adopted children of God and heirs of heaven.
Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us!
"Unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God," Jesus told Nicodemus (John 3:5). And His command to the Apostles was: "Go into the whole world and preach the Gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized shall be saved, but he who does not believe, shall be condemned" (Mark 16: 15-16).
Death is certain at some point in time for all of us.
I am thankful...
for the safety of my sweet babes, all home together for Christmas break.
In the kitchen...
Cc made me cucumber creme cheese sandwich. Yum. We needed a meatless idea for Friday night so Craig made waffles. Molly made oatmeal, walnut, chocolate chip cookies for recital. I made peanut kiss cookies for church festivities for Gaudete Sunday. Craig made a wonderful fish feast with tuna, mahi mahi and salmon in honor of my parent's visit.
I am going...
to spend time with my sisters and their daughters for a Christmas ornament exchange this week.
I am reading...
a variety of Christmas books to the girls.
I re-fell in love with this pop up. Beautiful!


I am watching...
well, the girls and I watched a local Christmas production with camels, donkeys, and various farm animals. A song and dance evening with a live nativity. 

I am listening to...
Handel's Messiah played by orchestra in Molly's concert. Just beautiful!
A favorite Advent  prayer for today...
Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in me a wonder at the wisdom and power of Your Father and ours. Receive my prayer as part of my service of the Lord who enlists me in God's own work for justice.

Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in me a hunger for peace: peace in the world, peace in my home, peace in myself.

Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in me a joy responsive to the Father's joy. I seek His will so I can serve with gladness, singing and love.

Come, long-expected Jesus. Excite in me the joy and love and peace it is right to bring to the manger of my Lord. Raise in me, too, sober reverence for the God who acted there, hearty gratitude for the life begun there, and spirited resolution to serve the Father and Son.

I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, whose advent I hail. Amen.
A peek into my day...
wonders and joys of childhood

No comments:

Post a Comment