Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Top ten prayers everyone should know by heart

In working with my Sunday School first Communion kids, and two of my own children preparing for Confirmation, I have been thinking about which prayers we need to emphasize first. My first Communion kids need to have the 10 commandments memorized, as well as their catechism questions. My confirmation kids need to know these, as well as the Six Precepts of the church.

1.  Rosary prayers  - I lumped all these as if one  - the Holy Rosary. They are the most basic, most helpful, most used in other chaplets and devotions, so the most important to have memorized as if part of your conscience. Children can memorize prayers quickly - get these down by having them lead a decade of the rosary.



Our Lord grants special graces on praying the rosary. We dedicate our thoughts on events of His Life, and send roses to Our Blessed Mother for her care of us.

2. Morning offering
Simple as:
Good morning,  dear God,
I offer to you
My thoughts, words and actions and all that I do.

Here are many more


O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, 
I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day 
in union with the
Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world.

 I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart: 

the salvation of souls, the reparation for sin, and the reunion of all Christians.

 I offer them for the intentions of our bishops and of all Apostles of Prayer,

 and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father this month.



3 Act of contrition 


From Confession App
4 St Joseph - 
The Pieta Prayer books say this prayer is over 1900 years old:


O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen.

5 St Michael
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
 be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil. 
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, 
O prince of the heavenly host, by the Divine power of God, 
cast into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

6 Guardian Angel
Angel of God,
My Guardian Dear,
to Whom God's love commits me here
Ever this night, be at my  side,
to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.


7 Angelus


The  Angelus 
The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary,
And she conceived by the Holy Spirit.
Hail Mary, etc.
Behold the handmaid of  the Lord,
Be it done unto me according to Thy word.
Hail Mary, etc.
And The Word was made flesh,
And dwelt amongst us.
Hail Mary, etc.
V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God,
R. That we be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray

Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, thy grace into our hearts, that we, to whom the Incarnation of Christ Thy Son was made known by the message of an angel, may, by His Passion and Cross, be brought to the glory of His resurrection, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.


8 Chaplet of Divine Mercy using rosary beads, with special prayers imploring Jesus' Mercy on us and the whole world. The novena leading up to Divine Mercy Sunday starting on Good Friday is a must.


Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

9 Meal Blessing
In any words- thank God for blessing of food:
Bless us, Oh Lord,
and these thy gifts which
we are about to receive from thy bounty,
through Christ, Our Lord.
Amen.

10 Fatima Angel Prayer
My God, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love You.
 I ask pardon for those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope, and do not love You.


My favorite apps for prayers and novenas on my phone:
Confession
Ipieta
Divineoffice.org prayers

There is always more to learn about our rich faith. Lives of saints, Writings of the Church Doctors, novenas, church history, feast days and many devotions, including the Stations of the Cross, always something help up through periods of intellectual and spiritual dryness.

Of course, The Holy Mass is the best prayer you can pray. Remember your special intentions prayers are most powerful during the Consecration.

Do you have any I should add to this list?

No comments:

Post a Comment