Friday, August 17, 2012

7 Friday Quick Takes



It has been a good week.
1.
First week of school - new dining at home - only -  routine - budget in full force - total success! Which is a good sign for me; if I can make it past the first week or so, a new habit will usually stick.
2.
Quicken helps - I just map out what I expect to spend, rounding up a little in each category, so when the week is over and the "actual" spent comes in lower - that's more saved than I expected.
So we had a little extra in the budget for an ice cream treat after Wednesday's Mass for the Assumption.
I like this control. It's just easy to say, "No, we aren't going to the store, it's not in the budget." I don't know how that word carries such authority, but it works. Maybe the kids are caught by surprise and just don't have a good counter proposition yet. Anybody else think their kids are born salesmen?
3.
The meal planning hasn't been more than - "Hey, what do you want for dinner?" Different kids shout out preference, I add ingredients to list, and wall-la - dinner is easy. My hardest part has been thinking of what to make and trying to get over being intimidated at my final product.
4.
Ceci wanted "salad and steak" - easy, non specific, added wild rice and green beans - wonderful.
Max wanted a different patty melt ( I tried pioneer woman's) and added Molly's mashed potatoes - great.
Molly had so many extra mashed potatoes (since the potatoes were getting older - why not make them all?) so the next night she made a great shepherd's pie. Thankful for the hidden pack of frozen pies in the back of the freezer to pull it together. Another night, I was looking in the freezer and saw chicken & venison sausage, and almost threw in the towel and ordered pizza, but I thought of jambalaya - turned out great! I'm new to this planning- which is sad since I've been married for 25 year - but there it is.
5.
The key is to have enough staples that go in many dishes stocked in up the pantry and freezer, it makes meal times prep a breeze. Which is what I need after homeschooling/ laundry/cleaning/ preparing son's items for college/ running kids around town for music lessons/ laundry/...
6.
Friday....Recommitting to GO MEATLESS again. We are embracing meatless Fridays again in honor of our Lord's Passion.  We have been on and off - substituting other sacrifices, but then sometimes that wasn't consistent. It's just easier and a better teaching tool and example - to go meatless on Fridays. Tuna salad lunch here we come.
7.
Homeschooling has started easier than I expected. Kids have been motivated! Molly is already on lesson 7 of her Advanced Math, which the class doesn't begin until next week. We finished book 4 (of 24) of The Iliad - wondering if I should pause to review some of the Greek gods for clarity. We are enjoying the poetry of Homer's words. I have had to edit a little of the PG13 content for the many listeners in the room, but over all good progress for the first week. I'll take it.

go see other Quick Takes at Jen's Conversion Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment