Saturday, April 28, 2012

Weekend Update or Sat/Sun Daybook




Outside my window
...temperature is starting to creep up, then suddenly, we will be blessed with a beautiful breezy morning, or a non humid evening. It's spring in Texas, we have to enjoy the moments before humidity is 100%. 

Does every community have a saying like this?:
"If you don't like the weather in Houston, wait five minutes and it will change."

I am thinking....teenagers love the signs of passage into adulthood, or at least practice adulthood. Nicholas has definitely been feeling his status as a teenager. He has braces now. He now goes to the home school group teen night, and he received his very own debit card in the mail. He is thrilled. He loves signs of growing up. Maybe being the third, it just feels right to pass hurtles he saw his older siblings pass. I just want to whisper: Slow down sweetie!

I am thankful...My sweet Cecilia Marie had her first confession today!! Smiles all around. Father met with Cc and her classmate, and their moms, after this morning's mass to discuss Holy Communion and the sacrament of Penance. There were nerves, but still many correct answers. :)
(I was told there weren't nerves, but I think there was at least a mild case.)
Father showed them the confessional and the cool red light / green light that changed when someone knelt on the kneeler. Once ready, Cc bounded in there, and joyfully bounded out to do her penance. O happy day! What is better that seeing a freshly beautiful soul!


The girls then had their dress rehearsal for the ballet recital. Euly was moved to the front of the class, for all the youngers to follow her. She does very well, but she is ten and they are 5-7, so you'd expect her to be better. She is pleased to be able to mother hen them into doing their best. I think Miss Marie made a wise decision. One more month until the full recital!


In the kitchen...gosh, it's clean...I hate this category because it really shows I do not do much in the kitchen, except clean lately. Its clean right now. I think I need some ideas. Euly picked yellow squash. She is very proud because we grew these from seeds. Maybe I should make a squash casserole. Might go good with some fried chicken..?

I am creating...well, crafting, making, a satin pillow for Cc to carry the crown for the May crowing next Sunday. What??- I offered to actually sew something others will see?! What was I thinking!?

I am going..Back to this park again. I happened by it by accident. It is less than a mile up the road from where my kids have been taking math and science classes the past four years. Ah, the wasted time sitting in the car. The park is kinda weird- a obstacle course of tires, and hot. It is surrounded by lush green grass but it is mostly rubber, mulch and dry wood structures.
Kids had fun- will come again when it's not so hot.


I am wondering...what I am allergic to! The inside of my eyelids are swollen and scratchy. I finally went to the eye doctor and he has forbidden me to put my contacts in again, (not like I want to anyway since it feels like putting broken glass in my eye). I have four different prescribed drops and now, Day three doesn't feel any better. I am getting used to my glasses full time. It is an adjustment as I have worn contacts full time for thirty years. What is blooming different this year to be allergic too?
I am also wondering how these teeny tiny bottles of precious drops are so dang expensive - $60, with the discount prescription card for .05 of an ounce?!?!?



I am reading...Little Town on the Prairie with Euly & Nick, Blue Willow with Euly, looking for another distraction for me...maybe I'll borrow Molly's Hunger Games books to see what its about.

I am hoping...for no surprises in the form of illness or car problems, etc for the next two weeks. Too busy, no time for anything else! :)

I am looking forward to...next week! Busy Saturday with a ground breaking at our church's property with a big celebration, Mass, procession, BBQ, visiting! Then next Sunday - may crowning with our own Cc as the lucky one to place the crown on the Blessed Mother's head. Plus maybe a day to play hooky and go see Max in Galveston (shhh!).

Around the house...peaceful, clean. We cleaned Friday afternoon so we are just relaxing with most chores already done.

I am praying for...the unemployed, burdens to be lifted, health to be restored, our country, estranged family members, marriages, the Holy Father, young Dominic all those fighting cancer and those supporting them, and for souls in purgatory.


A favorite quote for today...
from the Latin Mass, it bring peace to my soul:
P. Dominus vobiscum                                (The Lord be with you.)
S. Et cum spiritu tuo                                 (And with thy spirit)
p. Sursum corda.                                      (Lift up your hearts)
S. Habemus ad Dominum.                          (We lift them up to the Lord)
P. Gratias agamus Domino Deos.                (Let us give thanks to the Lord our God)
S. Dignum et justum est.                           (It is right and just).


Okay, favorite literary quote, from Little Town on the Prairie:

"This earthly life is a battle," said Ma. "If it isn't one thing to contend with, it's another. It always has been so, and it always will be. The sooner you make up your mind to that, the better off you are, and the more thankful for your pleasures. "


Two more, both from Mother Teresa:
"We can never know how much good a simple smile can do."

"The woman is the heart of the home:
Let us pray that we women realize the reason of our existence: 
to love and be loved and through this love become instruments of peace in the world."



One of my favorite things...being able to discuss a number of things with my kids! It is great to share this journey with so many wonderful, bright minds and big open hearts.

A few plans for the rest of the week...scouts, ballet, Galveston sometime, Craig is using vacation to spend time at church property to get ready for big weekend, maybe we should join him, nature journal class or girls group make up class, Molly's last math class, Euly dentist for filling, Molly ortho and she has a night out with friends.

Something that makes me happy...gliders. This huge glider was at the park mentioned above. This one was so big that it didn't get going too fast, but fast enough to be exciting and dangerous to stay on your feet while it was going. It was creaky and loud. But I love it. Such memories to the one my dad built for our backyard when we were kids in Alabama. I loved that glider, but greatly feared I would be knocked out by it. I don't think anyone was ever hurt.


balancing on the glider


A peek into my day...waiting our turn to rehearse






First time through the routine from Swan Lake:
This location is only for rehearsal, so we don't have punching bag Bob watching on during the recital.



No comments:

Post a Comment