Monday, December 5, 2011

Counting Gifts: Wherever you are, be fully there.....

In honor of Thanksgiving, I installed an iphone app to keep a record of 1000 Gifts; to keep a record of counting my special moments, events and experiences in a way I can reflect, meditate, and be thankful all over again. The app is nice but has its limitations. It opens with a thought reflection, sometimes flawed theology. I do like how a picture can be posted with each thankful thought, but a blog might be a better way to keep up with since apps do have a way of crashing. And after I have counted so many, I do not want them to disappear.

I wasn't that thrilled with the book (that the app was inspired from). It had moving moments, but since it overlooked/misunderstood the true meaning and use of the word Eucharist - Jesus with us, present in the Holy Eucharist,  - I was a little tuned out and didn't even finish it. I am so uncomfortable when someone picks something from the True Church to profit on and twists theology into their own interpretation far away from the Truth. I would not recommend the book. I do love the idea of counting gifts, we all need to reflect and be thankful for God's Gifts.

My children give me thousands of reason to be thankful daily, but actually stop and take a moment to write that thankful thought down does seem to lift the moment to God,  turn to Him and say "thank you". I have my daily prayers of thanks - and petitions - that are quite repetitive, and essential for my existence through my days. I like picking those more unique moments to capture, treasure and see our lives lived in them.

My first 100:
1. So thankful for nursing! And how it calms baby complains.
2. For my husband - who makes Migas for breakfast for me!
3. Little girls who love to learn.
4.Teenagers! I am so thankful to have teenagers to help love and raise up their lucky younger siblings.
5. Divine Mercy!

6. I am very thankful for my sweet parents and their 52 year marriage.
7. Chocolate and babies - and how is puts everyone in a good mood.
8. Chuys!
9. I am thankful for my oldest and all 19 years! And for celebrating in a hotel room with tres leche cake!
10. bath time! It always hits "reset"!
11. Thankful I am here in Austin and well for my 46th thanksgiving with all my family alive and well - C, M, M, N, E, C & L!!
12. Soft hotel sheets! Luxurious - makes me feel spoiled.
13. Big blue Texas sky.
14. Traditional Latin mass now in Houston
15. Miss Karen and her success with N
16. Wildflowers in the fall.
17. ten year old car that keeps on working.
18. The sound of my children practicing piano.
19. New shoes
20. L behaving well!
21. Seven layer bean dip bringing people together
22. Linette: "if every one's kids were like yours, we'd have a great society."
23. Cool Austin evening.
24. Teenage cousins!
25. Getting to know cousins you didn't know you had.

26. Money in the bank.
27. Another day Basic is open - Cody.
28. Humility - the more virtue you have the quicker you overcome daily strife.
29. Gromit & Shela: low maintenance - loyal dogs
30. Spending the day in Austin with some R**s & some B**s.
31. Coming home
32. Rescue remedy cream for calming baby fits
33.Second chances
34. Guardian angels
35. Reunited long separated family cousins exchanging phone numbers.
36. Smiling blue eyes smiling at me
37. Running water/ Air Conditioning/ Washer & Dryers/ - Conveniences!
38. My boys - altar serving.
39. Redeeming hotel points
40. Family portraits
41. Sleeping with warm baby skins snuggles next to me & baby snore sounds
42. Realizing God is in control
43. Holding the gifts God has given me and receiving their love in return
44 Hosting teenage movie nights
45. Seeing people grow up to be wonderful young men! so proud of Seth!
46. Peace from Gregorian Chant
47. Priests, monks, nuns - men and women who have given their life to love and serve God.
48. I am so thankful for all the gifts and beauty of the Catholic Church - its art, music, prayers, saints, sacramentals, liturgical season, Mary, universality, confession,. reverence to our God, loving care of souls, and mostly our sweet Lord in the Eucharist!
49. My oldest and his best traits: strong, faithful, humble, loyal, reserved, funny, creative, dedicated, charming, handsome, friend, peace maker, steadfast, kind, big hearted, fun loving, witty, special, unique, thoughtful, intelligent.
50. My oldest and her best traits: big hearted, artistic, justice seeking, true, honest, imaginative, see beauty in all things,naturally talented, loyal, dedicated, strength, giving, strong willed, dreamer, philosopher, idealist, writer, unique, open, kind, friendly.
51. My sweet boy: giver, gifts, love, dedicated, helper, cheer spreader, happy, calm, confident, courage, sweet, easy going, peace maker, sensitive, compassionate, love for babies, focused, thoughtful.
52. my fourth: sweet soft voice, gentle heart, sacrificial nature, loyal, peaceful, tidy, artistic, tender hearted, persistent, unashamed, resilient, kind, compassionate, dreamer, hard worker, wants to please and bring happiness.
53. the sweet surprise: poised and confident, forgiving heart, persistence, strength, love, artistic, forgiving, joy filled, singing heart and lips, loyal, snuggler, warm, smart, tuned in and observant, undaunted, wise.
54. the bonus flower: love, sacrifice, smiles, curls, ready smile, happiness, agile, ready spirit, friendly, smart, loves her mommy, always hungry
55.Sweet Blessed Virgin Mary
56. sister gossip time
57. pushy neighbor to the rescue - good for bringing people out of their shell.
58. campfire and kids making s'mores to make life long memories. (and living in a place where it can be done as often as we want)
59. I am thankful for a nice warm house when its 32 degrees outside
60. Sleep (when I can get it)
61. Monsgr. G and his unfailing memory, dedication to LIFE and the beautiful church in his care.
62. Completed recharter and Lea's help!
63. Goldfish crackers for a busy one year old.
64. Sweet 12 year old boys - and how much they love one year olds!

65. Six year old ballerina!
66. Thankful for the right to stand up for my kids - (right, ability, desire, need)
67. Angels watching over us while we sleep!
68. Healthy children
69. Brave young adults
70. Patient and forgiving husband
71. Patient, sweet kids open for correction
72. Freedom to choose what is right for our educational goals.
73. no more holy house
74. M's 103 quarter end test
75. Big cloudy Texas sky
76. Boy scout volunteers
77. second changes to spend time with someone who needs that time
78. When its clear you are doing what God wants you to do - making the path smoother and easier!
79. The love and respect of my children who trust me in their life
80. Getting through growing pains! :0
81. My blessing outweigh my challenges
82. Learning along side the kids - not afraid of trial and error.
83. Advent - waiting but knowing all the while Jesus is the gift coming on Dec. 25.
84. Waking up to happy sleep baby smiles
85. Baby dream smiles
86. Rain!
87. Clean floors!
88. E & Mx's enthusiasm for the Christmas Village matches mine.
89. "bulletproof" kids
90. Beautiful L - little girls in dress up

91. Kyle
92. Marilyn thinking of M while shopping!
93. Thankful for the Greek myths enriching our lives & studies.
94. Date night!
95. Chocolate molten cake
96. the moments when L is happy in her car seat
97. E saved the ballet recital performance!

98. King hibachi - as much happiness for all - sushi was pretty good too.
99.A Saturday spent with my family! Breakfast together - ballet recital - Ferris wheel ride - lunch - cut down trees - clean house - ice cream -Veggie Tales
100. The ice cream lady thinks my kids are the nicest kids she knows :)

Wow - so many of thankful moments revolve around food. Quite revealing, makes me wonder if I should share...
Already working on the next 100...

No comments:

Post a Comment